Instruments moving when replaced

Greetings all,

I'm back to my old fun and games of converting AutoCAD plans into Vectorworks and have come up against a bit of a sticky wicket. (Problem that is.)

I've imported the DWG of the lighting symbols into my drawing and have been going through the process of converting the symbols into lighting instruments and then using the replace instrument command to swap them for my Vectorworks instruments.

All was going swimmingly well with this until I got to the Source 4 Pars, which kept disappearing when I replaced them. After some investigating I discovered that they were originally drawn 28km from the origin. Unfortunately I can't just move them back by a set distance to rectify the problem, as the direction by which they're moved away from the drawing area is defined by their orientation, which of course is different for almost every instrument.

I have tried editing the symbol and moving it to a X:0 Y:0 origin. But this has the same result.

Any suggestions? Also if anyone else has had experience with converting plans, can you suggest any ways to improve or streamline the work flow? I'm thinking that eventually this is something that could use a bit of scripting. But I will need a bit more experience before taking that on.

Cheers,

Cookie

Hi Cookie,

I'd try the following.

New drawing

Import the symbol.

Turn on all classes

Edit Symbol 2d - Select all Zoom to selection - Cut

Exit Edit.

Edit Symbol 3d

Select all

Zoom to selection - Group (you are in Top/Plan View)

Move the group so that your preferred insertion point is at (0,0,0)

Delete any loci

Exit Edit

Edit Symbol 2d

Paste - Group and Move as above.

Exit

Rename - Import to your original file and give it a go.