AutoCAD to Vectorworks

Firstly hi i'm andy and work designing small buildings although my passion is furniture design, I probably won't post that often but have found forums like this great for learning.

Anyway I use AutoCAD to do all my 2d work plan elevation drawings. At my new place of work there is a copy of 2008 vectorworks which I thought I'd try and learn (apple imac)

So can anyone give me some really basic step by step info. I'm a little confused why there is no model and paper space only one space.

I'm interested in making some A4 to A0 layouts with title blocks, is this easy?

How should I set up my screen for best practise as I don't want to pack up to many bad habits.

Perhaps someone could give me a guide on doing a simple plan to elevation drawing?

Is the quickest way to size a line - select line - click once - hit tab - type in figure?

i really like how the hatch/pattern tool works.

Any other tips would be great

regards Andy

Hi guys, so I have had a look at the bits you have posted and am planning to work my way through the architecture user guide.

Is there any reason why I should not be using metric over imperial as that is my preferred way of measuring?

Also will the whole lack of paper/model space become clear with use?

tails Vectorworks does have model space and paper space.

Design Layers are Vw's model space. The big difference is where Autocad has only one Vw has many. Each Design Layer is its own discrete model space with the advantage that these can be organised to facilitate the modelling of multi storey buildings or other complex objects. Each Design Layer has a Z which defines its relative location in 3D space.

Design Layers are the where and Classes are the what. Vw's Classes are the equivalent of Autocad's Layers.

Sheet Layers are Vw's paper space and drawings can be assembled into drawing sheets on these Sheet Layers using Viewports (ie similar methodology to Autocad). These Viewports can be annotated and embellished with 2D drawn elements in their Annotation Space.

Use metric if that is what you are comfortable with. Vw handles both metric and Imperial units with ease. You can even enter dimensions in other system units and they will be automatically converted to the units you have set. For example if you have the document units set to mm you can enter 3m or 10' and the dimension will show in mm and be correct.

One difference is that in Vw the model space can have a scale other than 1:1. This does not impact on the accuracy of what you draw or model. It has the advantage that you can work in a more WYSIWYG fashion. ie. if you draw your plans in Design Layers with a scale of 1:100 and then place those plans on the Sheet Layers at a scale of 1:100 they will be graphically correct. You will not need to scale any of the information to get the line weights, hatches and text as you want it.

Edited by mike m oz

Hi again so I have had a little play set up my page, saved a template, and even have secondary dimensions.

So I was watching a video and the user was drawing construction lines as actual lines, surly this is not good is there a construction line button?

Also right click to change scale, but should I always draw at 1:1 then change to say 1:50 when I finish even if it affects my lineweights?

You can use Modify - Guides to make any line or set of lines a guideline. Also it is helpful if you want to use the same construction grid for a whole project to put the guides on their own layer so that you can use them with with any other layer(s). You can control guideline attributes with a guides class.

Also check out the Grid Bubble object in the Dimension and Notes tool set.

Most Vectorworks users model and draw to scale. Line weights stay the same across scales so you need to anticipate the scale you want to print in when you choose your line weights. You can, however, scale line weights in viewports; see Advanced Properties in the viewport Object Info pallet.

Hi J lucas, so in regards to your last sentence are you saying I need to think and draw at scale as this seems far from ideal in comparison to autoCAD? I'll have a look at it.

Having looked further at the videos some of what the user does makes sense as he draws in one colour the "inks in" the line, so the construction line becomes a drawing line.

Scale in VW is kind of like a preset extra zoom factor. When you draw you just trust the on screen rulers or displays. As Ray says, if you want to draw a 1" (or 40') line you just draw it to that length and the program takes care of it from there.

The idea is that if you will be printing at 1:50 scale if you draw on a layer that is set to 1:50 you can get a better idea of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) regarding text sizes and line thicknesses.

Hi again, sorry for the dumb question. So a can do plan/elevations after watching a few vids.

I'm trying to improve my speed and would like to use the offset tool. So I select it and pick the settings I want, then a pop up box comes up, i select my distance and it works.

But how on earth do I reset this as I don't always requaire the same offset distance??

Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Right click on a hatch in the Resource Browser and choose Edit. You can scale it there. Keep in mind it will change all instances of the hatch in your drawings, so if you want a new size right click on the hatch and choose duplicate. Vectorworks 2010 can scale and rotate hatches in place on an individual basis.

It would really help if you put your version of Vectorworks in a signature along with computer specs. Click on the My Stuff button, Edit Profile.

Hi its me again :)

I have read that in vectorworks you should draw with blocks, so use the rectangle tool instead of the line tool.

Anyway I have ignored this advice and used the line tool to draw a wall with a few 90 degree angles in it. I would like to fill the wall with hatch or pattern but cannot.

Do I need to create a type of polyline to do this?

Also if your reading Ray Libby, is the system spec in your signature suitable for say solidworks rendering/cinema 4D as I'm looking to get a system for my personal use at home and would liketo future proof a bit.

Thanks