Fonts & v 9.5

CEA

Our office uses Adobe Graphite, a multiple master font.

1. Will this font work with Vectorworks v 9.5 running in the "classic" Apple OS?

2. Will this font work with Vectorworks v 9.5 running in Apple OSX?

We are eager to upgrade to OSX and Vectorworks 9.5 as soon as possible, but will need to have the Graphite font available.

As long as it conforms to Apple's font guidelines and does not require the use of 3rd party software such as ATM it should work well.

The general rule is that if it is a straight true type font it will work in VectorWorks. This goes for both OS X and classic MacOS.

Furthermore, the only problems we have on record dealing with this font have to do with it being rotated and not looking great, (this is a general side effect of rotated text and VW has a preference to turn the quality up at the expense of speed) and one user reported that the font does not display when used in a vertical dimension. (This was found to be related to that particular version of the Graphite font, and was resolved by using a different version)

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

Thank you for your promt reply.

Unfortunately, this font does require ATM.

We are using the font with VW 9.0.1 and MAC OS9.1 and have had no problems (it also worked well with VW8). Rotated and vertical text print well on our HP488CA.

I am concerned that we will have a problem if we switch to OSX.

I have read the previous topic regarding fonts, but I am still uncertain whether this font will work or or not with OSX.

Thanks for your help.

CEA, I believe I have the answer you seek. But it's not what you want to hear.

I have been testing OS X at home on my PB G3 (Bronze_Lombard). The fonts like Graphite don't even show up on the menu of any OS X program, hence, this renders using VWA 9.5 useless for us on Macs until this issue is resolved by Apple.

From what I understand, Apple will be implementing something AST or AFT, something similar to Adobe's ATM. This will allow multiple master PostScript fonts like Graphite and Tekton to be recognized by OS X. Until then, we won't be able to completely let go on OS 9.x. Until then, we will continue using VWA 9.5 b5 (once I get it to recognize my serial number!)

Hope this helps.

Irving:

Thank you for the information. From what I had been reading, I suspected that Graphite and other multiple master fonts would not work with OSX.

I hope Apple will address this soon.

Will VWA 9.5 run using OS 9.1? We are currently using VWA 9.0.1, and are hoping to upgrade to 9.5 when the final version is ready.

CEA. Good question about running 9.5 on OS 9.x. I downloaded the 9.5 b5 patch and it downloaded and copied fine. But when I went to enter the serial number, it would except it. It is the same one for 9.01 but gives me a message that it is the wrong number format/series. Go figure.

I did the same with VWA 9.5 b7 to run tests at home using OS X and it all works fine?except for the fonts.

Update?

Much thanks to Katie Roberts at NNA. Apparently I had only downloaded the VW portion of 9.5 b5 without the VW Architect module. Reloaded and everything works fine except for the fact that it now tells me that all my serial numbers are in use. With VW and VWA, I only have one. Apparently the program is searching the network for other copies in use. In as much as I am testing this software at home on my PowerBook G3, the only Ethernet is for the printers. Go figure.

Originally posted by Irving:[QB]Oh I forgot the most important thing. Graphite works beautifully and the program is much snappier in every way tested so far.

Irving:

Thank you for your reports. That is good news that Graphite works with OSX.

The other potential problem for us will be printing- we have a HP488CA plotter that works with OS9. I am virtually certain that HP will not update the driver for this plotter. I am however assuming we can use the 488 plotter in the "Classic" mode.

How have you been dealing with printing from OSX?

Jodawi,

After a few restarts, the problem with asking for a new serial number because it thinks the current one is being used, has gone away. This is as of today (12.5).

CEA,

As for the fonts, I think you misunderstood my response. The Graphite font works well with the tests I've run in using the VWA 9.5 b5 with Mac OS 9.1, not X. I basically have found I cannot use VWA (9.5 b7) with OS X since I cannot see Graphite or Tekton, the fonts we use.

As for printing or plotting with VWA 9.01, I have found that with VWA 9.5 I cannot reliably plot to the HP 455CA. It plots about 2/3 of the drawing and the HP RIP quits our with a Type 2 error. The problem has been isolated to files that have been translated or brought over from 8.5.2 which we use mostly on a daily basis. (When we plot files in 9.01 that were started from scratch and done the cut and paste of drawing elements, fewer if no problems in plotting. I have replicated this same condition with 9.5 b5 and reported the bug to NNA.) File translation (from older versions), plotting and fonts showing up are going to be KEY for me in switching over to 9.5 in a big way, and if I am to buy more licenses as we expand the office staff next year.

Our saviour is our HP LaserJet 4MV where we'll print at 45% and then send out the prints for a 222% enlargement to bring the drawing to full size and scale.

We also have a HP 455 ca and I have been able to reliable print out of OS X but its kind of a work around.

If you go to the print center, select "add printer"In the next screen where it says "auto select" change that to "other" then navigate you hard drive to your HP Rip fold and select the PPD for the HP 455 CA. This should add it to the list of available printers.

From VW, when you print, change the output options to "postscript"

After the file prints you can open the HP Rip software in classic and send the postscript file to the printer.

At least this works for me

Good Luck

Hi Irving and CEA,Re your font problems; try this:

First, check that the Fonts are correctly installed in the OSX font folder. (not the Classic OS9).

Then, under OSX, boot VW9.5.Go to the Font (format?) menu in VW (is it still under "Type"?) and you should get a submenu item called FONT PANEL which brings up a window with the fonts and sizes listed. All the installed fonts should be there.

If you don't get this option, the likely problem is that NNA hasn't yet implemented the "Apple Type Solution" (ATS), and you will be restricted to system fonts untill they do.

If you do get the Font Panel, but the fonts don't appear, the likely problem is Apple haven't got their system working properly yet.

This information gathered from: "MAC OSX Little Black Book"; Coriolis Press. (Not a bad reference, but not great. A bit too Gosh and Gee Wiz for my taste!)

HTH,Nicholas

UserName (Member #804)

Thanks for the lead on the fonts issue. Here's a query for you. I thought about what you've suggested, but when I tried to copy the fonts over to the OS X font folder, it wouldn't allow it. Can you tell me (and others) which font folder it should go into (User or System) and if you are locked out, how to (as an Administrator) you make the appropriate settings changes? I had a similar problem with screen savers, and I went to <Home> and the <screen saver> folder in the <Utility> folder.

Thanks.

UserName (Member #804)

Thanks for the lead on the fonts issue. Here's a query for you. I thought about what you've suggested, but when I tried to copy the fonts over to the OS X font folder, it wouldn't allow it. Can you tell me (and others) which font folder it should go into (User or System) and if you are locked out, how to (as an Administrator) you make the appropriate settings changes? I had a similar problem with screen savers, and I went to <Home> and the <screen saver> folder in the <Utility> folder.

Thanks.

According to the book; to install fonts on a system-wide basis (as against a particular user/s),

Log in as administrator.On the Mac's "startup drive" is the Library folder.The Fonts folder is located there.Copy them directly in.You may need to do a restart.

If you want the fonts to be available to a specific user only, they must be installed in the USERS Library folder.

Nicholas

Nicholas,

I figured that out last night and you've confirmed it with your posting. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I am sad to say, despite having successfully downloaded and installed VWA 9.5 for OS X at home (haven't made the transition at the office yet because of this issue and plotting problems with OS X), that the graphite font does NOT appear on the menu selection.

I do think it is an Apple issue (graphite doesn't show up in any other program, including the new MS Office X).

Thanks to everyone for the useful feedback.

My understanding is also that the problem is related to incompatibilities between OSX and multiple master fonts. It is an problem that either Apple needs to fix, or perhaps Adobe needs to modify the fonts so they are compatible with OSX. I would imagine that this incompatibility with multiple master fontswould be a huge problem for graphic designers .

We use Graphite for architectural drawings and I like the font very much. We will need to have all the pieces in place before switching to OSX and it seems like fonts and printing are still a problem.

Can anyone suggest a "hand lettered" font ( similar to Graphite) that works with OSX? I have tried the free "Archi" font from the VW web site, but prefer Adobe's Graphite.

I like my G3 Powerbook a lot, but I think Apple need to do a lot of catching up to remain relevent and usefull to professional users!

Here's something else you could try with the Font problem.

If you go to www.fontlab.com, and under the section "converters" select the product "Trans-Type" This program has a 3 day free trial period and if you like it costs US$97 for the Mac version and US$50 for windows (not as full featured?)

It will convert truetype to postscript and vice-versa etc etc.Apparently it's simple AND effective to use.

Perhaps you could have a go at converting the Postscript "Graphite" to True Type and try sending that to print? If your printer is happy with true types this could get you going in OSX

let us know if it works............

Nicholas

Just a thought.

Adobe could simply sell the separate portions of Graphite (as they do with Tekton) so that you aren't working with a multiple master, and just a simple PostScript font.

We normally use the "regular" style with "normal" width. We almost never use the narrow or wide widths.

I've left a comment with Adobe to see if it gets some response. I would gladly pay $25 for this single font. It puts me one step closer to dumping OS 9 and going fully with OS X and VWA 9.5. All that remains, is being able to reliably plot.

Just a thought.

Adobe could simply sell the separate portions of Graphite (as they do with Tekton) so that you aren't working with a multiple master, and just a simple PostScript font.

We normally use the "regular" style with "normal" width. We almost never use the narrow or wide widths.

I've left a comment with Adobe to see if it gets some response. I would gladly pay $25 for this single font. It puts me one step closer to dumping OS 9 and going fully with OS X and VWA 9.5. All that remains, is being able to reliably plot.

Update on the FontLab tool. The fonts are now available on the menu and in the document, thus one can edit and continue working on the file.

But when I tried to print a portion of the sheet on my HP LaserJet, the font that printed defaulted to courier. So close, yet so far.

One thought, is that I did this with the trial version of the software to see if it would work. Maybe it only allows you to now see and use the font, except when it comes to printing. It could be like other trial software. Try it, but you can't save or print.

I am testing all this out at home in the evenings and therefore haven't been able to contact folks during normal working hours. Can anyone confirm my theory? $99 would be worth it if I can convert all my other fonts from others to use on OS X.