Import NURBS objects?

I've been working between VW 10.5.1 and Rhino to create a 3d model of a curved lattice-work railing. Rhino can map a complex flat surface onto a curved surface, but I can't find a way except through .dwg import and export to get the objects back into VW, which then come in as 3d polys or meshes, not nurbs. Is there any way to do this? Does VW import IGES files, and would this help?

Biplap & Kaare, where do I find the command to import an IGES file? I can find "Export IGES" under File->Import/Export . . . oops, I found it in my Workspace editor and added it to the menu!

But the object I get, although it is identified as a NURBS surface, is "kinky," not smooth the way it looks in Rhino. The nurbs curves that aligned with the surface in Rhino are no longer aligned, and are composed of a series of chords. Is there some kind of limitation involved here? Degree, number of nodes, something else?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It may be that the criterion for detecting discontinuity on a surface is different in VW from that in Rhino. So a surface may appear continuous and smooth in Rhino and the same surface may appear segmented and divided into several sub-surfaces in VW. Is this what you are seeing. May be you can send me the IGES file so that I can take a look.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Biplap & Kaare, where do I find the command to import an IGES file? I can find "Export IGES" under File->Import/Export . . . oops, I found it in my Workspace editor and added it to the menu!

But the object I get, although it is identified as a NURBS surface, is "kinky," not smooth the way it looks in Rhino. The nurbs curves that aligned with the surface in Rhino are no longer aligned, and are composed of a series of chords. Is there some kind of limitation involved here? Degree, number of nodes, something else?

What is your 3-D conversion resolution preference set to? Select the File->Preferences->VectorWorks Preferences... menu item and check what it's set to under the 3-D tab. If it's low or medium, raise it.