Symbols not counted when "Set 3D Orientation" checked

If a symbol has been converted to a spotlight Lighting Device

If that symbol has 3D info (hybrid symbol)

If the "Set 3D Orientation" is checked

and data is entered in either the x or y rotation

then that symbol will not get counted in a report.

Yeah I know that's a long list of if's but here at my office we're starting to use custom reports and more complex layers and classes to sort info on our lighting layouts.

We're doing this to try to stream line from design to shop order, and using reports, and sorting by a specific layer and class can give us an exact amount of gear for a specific area.

The system works great until today.

My coworker had done a 3d model of the room, and noticed that when he did his counts the moving lights were not showing up in the report. After trying lots of combinations we discovered that if the 3D orientation had been modified the instrument did not appear in the report. If we unchecked "Set 3D Orientation" the instrument DID appear in the report.

This is definitely a bug as I can recreate it using any symbol that contains a 3D element.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In order to rotate the object in 3D space the symbol must be decomposed by the lighting device. You should be looking at the Lighting Device to get any information you need. You can use ('Lighting Device'.'Symbol Name') to access the name of the symbol in use by the lighting device.

In order to rotate the object in 3D space the symbol must be decomposed by the lighting device. You should be looking at the Lighting Device to get any information you need. You can use ('Lighting Device'.'Symbol Name') to access the name of the symbol in use by the lighting device.

The issue is that when running a report attempting to count lighting devices any fixture that has "set 3D orientation" and data in the x or y rotation boxes is not counted in the report.

I'm now understand that the symbol is decomposed to do the rotation but having it not be counted in a report because of that is not acceptable. Can you guys figure out a way that the symbol is counted in a report even if the lighting device is being rotated with "Set 3D Rotation"

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

michaelk,

The inventory report will show the correct count. Mickey is trying to use a custom report counting the symbols in the lighting device which is not a reliable method of counting lighting devices and not how any of the stock reports are configured.

Kevin

The reason I asked is that I always build my own inventory reports and keys. Some of them get very weird when mixing stock and rental gear, fixtures w/ different lamps, rep plots, etc.

I'm curious what fields will not respond correctly to a count query when an instrument has a 3D orientation set.

michaelk