Mystified a little. Snap wall studs on edge of slab?

Hello,

I searched a bit here but no joy...

Am I missing something here? Is there a default snap choice for component walls that puts the structure (CMU, metal or wood studs or even the face of ext. sheathing would be nice too) on the edge of the slab? It doesn't look like it is here but I thought it would be a good idea to ask. That "other" software does this as a matter of course.

I want to snap the face of the wall structure ( stud or CMU) at the face of the slab, this time. Then probably will have situations where I want the face of ext sheathing at the face of slab or stemwall. I want the slab dims to be in nice round inches, not 1/8ths etc. The wall tools seems to give only 3 options - either face of finished wall or the centre of a line drawn equally between the two faces . No snaps relate to the actual structure inside the wall. How do I know if the shear sheathing is going to be 1/2" or 2 layers of 5/8ths at this phase of the project?

To compensate, I seem to have correctly made a Wall Style with the snap offset where I want it - on the face of stud - and named it appropriately. I''ve tested a window in the 6" stucco ext wall and all seems well, but are there other surprises down the road because I moved the snap point of the wall itself? Do I really want to use component walls after all? What would I start with to make this wall thickness with the correct offset snap and so that window frames are also correct?

Regret all the newby questions....Many thanks!

Just in case there is any interest at all, I spoke to tech support:

The wall current insertion tool will only place the wall on one of three positions - center, or either face of the wall - all experienced user obviously know this.

It currently does not have a switch or "u" key option to place the wall using the face of the actual core of the wall, ie: wood or metal stud or cmu.

This core/offset placement choice must be input in one of the dialog boxes in MM or inches derived from your calcs. No problem, it can be done. But the tech rep did say that the ability to select the actual core of the wall as the placement point is planned for the future - I think he said the next release.

Lloyd,

I think this is a pretty common dilemma, so here's a quick overview for other users (it sounds like you've already figured it out).

When using the wall tool, you can use different modes i.e. left snap, center snap, right snap, or custom snap for wall insertion. Custom snap is the one that you want (on the right of the mode bar).

In this example, I've snapped the exterior face of the framing component to the grey rectangle.

4663669609_2ff49f1b3a.jpg

You can set the control offset in the preferences of the Wall tool. After you do this, save the wall as a wall style for future use.

4663695377_fdeb8d944a_b.jpg

To set the control offset, look under "insertion options" of the wall. The offset is from the center line of the wall, so you may need to do some math. The images I've shown are for an exterior wall with 1/2" sheathing, and 7/8" siding, so you end up with an odd dimension. A simpler example would be a 2x6 framed wall with 1/2" gypsum on both sides. In that case, if you wanted the framing line to be the snap point, you would set the control offset to 2 3/4" (or 1/2 of the distance from the center of the wall to the line of framing). For asymmetrical walls (where you have more materials on one side of the framing than another), it's a little more complicated. You need to calculate the full width of the wall, divide by 2 to determine the centerline and then compute the difference to your offset point.

Once you have the wall setup as a wall style, it's all then automatic.

Dimension is a bit of a nuisance. I find that I use framing only for new construction and component walls for as-builts (where I use true finish dimensions) and assemblies where exact alignment is critical. In which case, I manually adjust the dimensions to the framing component.

I look forward to the improvements.

Edited by Taproot