Whiter Ceiling

JSiegel

Jeremy,

Nice work.

You might also consider adding an area light just in front of the window in order to get a wash of light on the ceiling, floor, and walls. It will definitely add to rendering time but it will also increase realism.

Did you get a lot of benefit from the HDRI lighting? I find that I don't get much improvement unless I also add final gather. Then the render times get REALLY long.

I've gone back to "faking" interior lighting in the interest of saving render time.

Attached image took less than 5 minutes to render at 3200x2233. There were four lights - an area light, just inside the window for wash of light on interior surfaces, a directional light outside for the light on the floor, a point light outside, with shadows off, to get light on the jambs of the window, and a directional light inside, with shadows off, aimed up and to the right to mimic bounced light and to balance the light in the scene. I used the ambient setting at 25% to get the "exposure" where I wanted it and I used final gather at 12" and 10% to get some actual bounced light.

To Vincent's point, there is a bump map on the floor. Also used phomg reflection on the floor instead of mirror.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,there was NO benefit from the HDRI lighting in this render. Normally I get impatient & quit the render but I had the time so I let it run to compare the benefits...not worth it for me.

I was only using point lights (6) total, (3) of which were the wall sconces and ambient at 30%. I will try your suggestion of an area light just inside & a directional light just outside the window. I like multilayer paint on the floor, but will add bump.

I will post the render result & plan showing lighting locations/info at some point tomorrow. TY J

Bill,there was NO benefit from the HDRI lighting in this render...

I had a feeling that you were going to say that.

...I will try your suggestion of an area light just inside & a directional light just outside the window....

Make sure that the area light doesn't touch anything and that it is inboard of the trim. If you don't, the area light will produce strange results. I usually look at the model in elevation, draw a rectangle around the inside of the window, convert the rectangle into an area light, switch back to plan view, move the light to the inside edge of the window trim, and then move it in 1/2" from there.

Good luck.

Bill, no result to post at this time just a screen shot & a few questions.

The placement of the highlighted area light at the window... If it is just outside the window the HDRI background is obscured, if just inside the window, the window mullions are obscured and the window reads as a flat white rectangle (area light). The create area light tool is a new one for me so I must be doing something wrong. Let me know what you see in the screen shot regarding placement of area light & OIP settings. TY J