Whiter Ceiling

JSiegel

Ray,I had already edited the cabinet symbols to have solid lines per Horsts earlier post, took only a few mins. so no real harm but thanks for clarifying that solids can't have line attributes. I increased the px-in to 600. It took about 30 min. rendertime. The prior was 300 px-in. TY J

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy,

In general you might find it easier to obtain reliable (and perhaps better) results by using a much smaller setting for the Ambient lighting, or turning Ambient off altogether. Use Ambient to control the contrast of a scene (that is, the difference between the blackest blacks and the whitest whites), but using it to make a scene brighter will muddy the waters, so to speak.

I think the number of lights you are using is making rendering times excessively long, because each of those lights must be calculated by the program. In general, I have found it best to use lights for illuminating a scene (that is actually casting light for illumination purposes) using as few actual light sources as possible, and then simulating the appearance of lights by using the Constant texture at light lens (or visible source) locations. Unless you need to show shadows coming from specific, particular locations, or you require illumination to be visible on exact spots (as in wallwashers where the light is specifically visible), it can be easier simply to use one or two invisible lights for actual interior illumination and then simulating the light fixtures that can be seen in the rendered view by using realistic 3D models of them.

Think of it as a stage set where the lighting source is not visible, but where light fixtures, as props, can be observed in the scene.

Dan J.

Daniel, Attached is an example of trying to work out your (2) layer ceiling. I will follow your comments above regarding ambient/lighting, etc. but that has not yet been adjusted in the attachment.

What is really bothering me for the purpose of this post is that when I create a viewport of my camera view, I get the distorted perspectival image on the sheet layer? TY J

Jeremy,

I think the camera problem may be a bug that occurs with Unified View and sheet layer viewports. It's been reported and they're working on it. You might want to change the height of the camera object to match the model layer's Z-height plus the desired camera height.

Any particular reason your file has layer Z-heights that are not zero? Just curious.

Dan J.

Dan, thanks for info regarding the bug. The Z-heights are from a template file. This portion of the drawing was copied out of the main file and the other levels, first floor at Z-height "0" were deleted. The bath is on the second floor set at 10'-0". TY J

I am a little late to this party but...

We have been resolving this issue using hdri's to help bounce the light around more. We usually use the custom renderworks settings with final gather but occasionally we can get away with FQRW when the hdri is present.

The attached view was done in FQRW with only two point lights and a sun outside along with the hdri. The sheet layer dpi is set to 300.

Jeff, I haven't been using the HDRI's but will explore after seeing your posted image. Each time I use the final gather gather settings my VW crashes...

I am getting a decent ceiling using Dan J's technique from earlier in the post.

I have (2) questions regarding the attached file:

1) Is there a way to make the tiled floor in the shower/tub area less monolithic w/o drawing the individual tiles.

2) The dropped soffits over the shower & lav's periodically become transparent, w/o me making any changes. For example I click the saved view, sometimes it renders correctly other times disappears?

Any other setting comments are appreciated TY J

(apparently a .zip file can't be attached here. I was looking to post the .vwx file but it is too large for the forum at 10.9MB)

Bill,

I think the views I set up for this room took about an hour each. They were pretty good size though - 9 x 12 or so at 300dpi.

Now if I also used custom renderworks with final gather all bets are off.

I use the 72 dpi trick to make sure I have EVERYTHING right (too many times I have not succeeded at that) and then set up the final renders before I leave for the day.

Attached is the final image using an HDRI background. There is a BIG difference in render time if the Environmental Background Lighting is "From Current Background" (3.5 hrs) vs. (20 mins.) for "None".

The issue with the dropped soffits from earlier in the post did not crop up again?? I ended up changing the floor as the pattern changed, only took about 15 mins. That file is attached as well, maybe it will save someone some time. Thanks for all your input. J

Jeremy, just a little tip, to give the rendering an added level of reality try testing with a couple of bump maps, one can often use the same picture as the texture....quick and easy and the correct size in one go......luck! Nice renders by the way!

Sorry I just saw that somebody already took up the question.....

Edited by Vincent C