snap to inactive layer

newbie. VW11 windows7

have created 4 walls, inserted door and windows.

trying to create floor slab and roof. set active layer to mod-floor-slab and try to draw a rectangle to establish floor perimeter,but cannot snap to inactive layers. I have clicked the check box in Organize - layer options to show/snap others and show/snap/modify others.

but it doesn't work.

any ideas what to do?

I thought at one point in a VW 2010 intro seminar, that I had heard the new version would allow snapping between layers of different scale. Is this not the case?

It would be advantageous to be able to align viewports (design layer) by snapping to viewports on a different design layer scale.

This may be a product of my frustration with annotation in viewports. Because that process is so slow and cumbersome I have taken to arranging sheets though design layer viewports, then creating a viewport of multiple design layer viewports to create a sheet. This allows me to note & dimension on a design layer instead of annotation. I would like to be able to snap to viewports on alternate scale design layer though to arrange the sheets. Sound silly?

This is also an issue when drawing files get big (or the computer gets tired) because there are times when zooming in to snap to a point, for instance, causes the referenced viewport info to disappear, leving nothing to see/snap too! All of these are attempts to overcome what appear to be limitations of teh software.