The ability to work and play well with Energy Analysis programs

Brian F. McGarry

Question

It would be increasingly helpful if Vectorworks would actively seek to collaborate with one or any of the Energy Analysis program companies out there like IES, Ecotect, or other and create a more seamless work-flow. As it stands right now there is a substantial amount of work around procedures to make the interface between these programs plausible.

The old stand by of using .IFC format is not truly an answer to this since there is, again substantial issues with this format as it is exported from Vectorworks. I see the other programs such as Revit, Architcad, and even Sketchup have surpassed us in this realm and I would like to see Vectorworks at the very least catch up.

17 answers to this question

Guest FlowMaster

Amen to that! I've been looking into all the programs out there that dovetail with the other aforementioned programs. This is not some sidebar issue...this is already front and center.

If VW does not hop on it, we will not have a choice but to switch to other programs. We need something soon!

Are there any moderators that know what VW is working on, if anything, and how long it will be until it is released?

The answer maybe in the creation of an additional Energy Analysis Module for those who require the functionality and are willing to pay for it.

That would have been my thought a few years back but I've come to the conclusion that VW already tries to be too many things to too many people.

That would have been my thought a few years back but I've come to the conclusion that VW already tries to be too many things to too many people

So who in that group of too many people should Vectorworks stop trying to be for?

Which bits would you get rid of?

I have not seen anyone on this forum post a success story using DOE2 output from VW. (Please prove me wrong.) I (together with a mechanical engineer) recently did a DOE2 energy analysis for a fire station using Equest. The DOE2 data files from VW would not have worked for simple reasons like: If the insulated exterior walls extend above the insulated drop ceiling the data output is not smart enough to takeoff only the area of exterior walls below the drop ceiling.

Perhaps the building model could be created to anticipate this, but it would be better to have a "smart" building modeling program working with a "smart" energy modeling program.

I need easy to use energy modeling on most of my projects. As I have said before, this is currently perhaps the most relevant and important use of "BIM" for an architectural practice.

I did an export of DOE2 data from VW, on the Fire Station Project, looked at the data and concluded that I would have to completely redo my building model to anticipate issues like the one I described above. Instead, I used the space tool to do a takeoff from both horizontal and vertical surfaces and then described the related construction assemblies for input by the engineer into Equest. This was WAY quicker than redoing my building model or even perhaps of adapting the building model to the DOE2 export data takeoff needs from the beginning. Adapting the building model for DOE2 export, would have been largely trial and error; there are no VW best practice guidelines for this. The VW help section on DOE2 export is terse and misleading at best.

My need is for ongoing smart feedback on energy efficiency from schematic design on.

I design in 3D.

Edited by J Lucas

It occurred to me that you could use spaces and/or worksheets to at least quantify some of the building's properties and thus ease the data input into eQuest but, as you said, you really need an easier method that can be used multiple times during the design process. It would be great if we could do a quick energy analysis on each schematic design option. It sounds like that's not easily done with VW. I wonder, though, if it's as easy as it seems with ArchiCAD & Ecotect or Revit and Green Building Studio.

Hmm a few years back you were a "Bim Manager?" and now you're a "Senior Technican", and self appointed "Archicad fan club president"....Dude,I think you have regressed.... and to suggest VW do the same,IMO you know BA about Data and information modelling.

Firstly, I'm a CAD manager and I've never called myself a BIM manager. Senior Technician is a more senior position than CAD manager, hence having changed my signature. Perhaps if you're going to keep tabs you should at least try and be accurate?

Secondly, I know comparing VW to other apps makes your blood boil but, seriously, deal with it.

Thirdly, "dude"? Please.