Multiple floor plans

Greetings All,

I'm slowly transitioning from Autocad to Vectorworks 2010. I've gone through Mr. Pickup's 'Vectorworks Essential Tutorial Manual" and believe I have a decent understanding of the basics, but am a little unsure of a few things. What I'm really struggling with is how do I go about setting up a drawing that will have more than a single story. The exercise in Mr. Pickup's book shows a single story house. Now I could use some help in determining how I set things up for a two story house with basement. Is there a recommended standard for setting up the layers and classes? To have the work translate to a 3D drawing, how do I handle the wall heights? Any help would be terrific and greatly appreciated. Are there sample drawings that are floating around showing a simple, multi-floor building to learn the layer and class management from? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Cam

Download the Modern Home Prototype and Alexandria Laundry Lofts projects and look at how they are structured: http://www.nemetschek.net/bim/projects.php

Architect also has a Model Setup routine. Menu: File/Documenting Settings/Model Setup...

If you use one of the Standard Naming protocols you can then use Document Setup... and Create Standard Viewports... to get most of the setup requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Cameron, getting this was the coolest thing whenstarting to use vectorworks, since you could have a rudimentary model immediately.

I typically (works for me) set the main floor to 0' and the other floor layers from that (basement is -9', Z+ 8', for example)

so, for example:

Mod-Floor 1 Z = 0', Z+ 8'0" (Height of ceiling)

Mod-Slab 2 = Z = 8' Z+ + 8'10" (thickness of floor)

Mod-Floor 2 Z = 8'10" z+ 8'0"

Mod-Slab 3 (attic) Z = 16'10" Z+ 6"

Roof Z = 17'4"

Floor alternate floor plans, duplicate a layer after you have drawn one out, and modify it as needed.

There are tons of variations depending on complexity, but this has worked well for me.

Don

I have found being accurate with the heights is very imporant to the final construction drawings. If you are using standard stud walls in Canada they will equal 9'1 1/8" and then the floor slabs will be the total of the I-Joist and subfloor. Once you have set the entire 2 storey Model Set-up and Viewports it is easy to save this as a template and then it is all done for you the next time. As Don said, you let the top of the Main floor be 0 and all of the rest are based above or below that.

Jon's Architect Manual expands on the basic drawing and is an excellent 2nd step to your learning curve.