Moulding PIO into walls

grant_PD

Question

I'd like to be able to activate a moulding pio:

-Click on a closed polygon/polyine and insert into a wall.

-Designate that shape as a piece of moulding and place it's height on the wall.

-Let VW generate the breaks for windows/doors.

-Be able to change the shape of the wall and have the moulding conform to it.

-Be able to change the shape of the moulding and have the moulding update.

- A super bonus would be to designate a moulding style and have the mouldings all over the set and in different walls update globally when I update the moulding profile. This style would give me control over the shape, and texture, and how it's represented in 2d.

6 answers to this question

Extrude along a path is the current working method. It's fine. Until one needs to change the shape of the wall in plan. Then you need to go into each and every extrude and update the path. Sucks if you have base/chair/picture/crown. Sucks even more if you need to cut them around doors or windows. I've toyed with the idea of hiding a single line "connector" in the extrude profile so that I can link all of the profile shapes together. But it still doesn't solve the problem of doors and windows and global updates.

If often wished that EAPs could be defined by symbols

In this feverish dream, the path of an EAP would be a 3D symbol (or act in a similar way to a 3D symbol) and the profile would be a 2D symbol (or act in a similar way to a 2D symbol).

So if the crown moulding for a project changed, then changing the symbol definition for the crown moulding would change all the crown moulding in the file.

Or if the footprint of a room changed, then changing the symbol for the path for that room would change all the moulding for the room.

The end product of the symbol-defined EAP would still have to behave like an EAP and allow solid subtractions, which is not allowed from symbols. Tricky...

Edited by michaelk