RenderWorks woes

You are probably seeing the difference between the "Export PICT" command and Exporting a "Image File" as a PICT.

The reason for both options is that deep down inside PICT really is a primitive based graphics format. It was originally designed to draw by saying draw a circle at x,y with radius r in color c. Opposed to having a bitmap of the image. It started its life as a subset of the Macintosh graphics system QuickDraw.

In the course of the format's evolution over the past 17 years or so, it has gained the ability to have a bitmapped version (in fact this is much more common today). This is typically done internally by embedding jpeg data inside the PICT.

You can use the workspace editor to make sure that you have both available to you. The "Export Image File" should give bitmapped results, while the "Export PICT" should give vector based elements where possible.

If this isn't the case let me know and I will double check the behavior in 9.0.1.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
I'm having some troubles with RW and am wondering if anyone else has come across them...

Running VW 9.0.1 imports a VW8 pict either raw or as a picture, just fine.Running VW 9.5.0b7 imports a VW8 pict just fine, also.However, VW 9.0.1 exports a pict that imports into 9 as vectors only, despite the fact that the model was rendered completely.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Matthew Giampapa ]

Import/ and Export Image File... were doing nothing. The problem turned out to be the recent Quicktime upgrade. I installed only what I thought were crucial components. After installing several other components, RenderWorks appears to work fine.

However, I was still getting the 'One or more operations was aborted due to lack of memory. Increase partition size.' Mem (on the mac) was set to 60M min. 128M pref, the model isn't complex, and even with all RW extras turned off, I had the same message. I purged the other two layers since they contained items I wasn't rendering, and all seems to work okay now.

Get the RenderWorks 9.0.1a update from our website. There is a Macintosh only bug in RenderWorks 9.0.0 and 9.0.1 which will cause the program to think it has run out of memory even thou it hasn't.

The update can be found on this page http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/renderworks/index.html

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
Import/ and Export Image File... were doing nothing. The problem turned out to be the recent Quicktime upgrade. I installed only what I thought were crucial components. After installing several other components, RenderWorks appears to work fine.

However, I was still getting the 'One or more operations was aborted due to lack of memory. Increase partition size.' Mem (on the mac) was set to 60M min. 128M pref, the model isn't complex, and even with all RW extras turned off, I had the same message. I purged the other two layers since they contained items I wasn't rendering, and all seems to work okay now.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Matthew Giampapa ]