How to trim/connect lines with "connect combine tool"

I just switched from using VW 2008 to 2010. Something has changed with the "connect/combine" line tool, and I can't figure out how the new tool works.

Here's my question: I have two lines crossing each other. I simply want to trim one half of each line so that I end up with an "L" shape. In VW 2008, I would use the "connect" tool, and click on the first line (on the side I wanted to keep) then click on the second line (on the side I wanted to keep) and the "L" would appear.

Now, in VW 2010, if I do the same thing, it doesn't seem to matter which side of the line I click on, it just randomly selects a side to keep.

Ironically, the new "multiple object connect" mode seems to recognize which side of the line I click on, but the other 3 modes (that were present in VW 2008) do not.

Any advice/experince on this issue?? Thanks

Jake

That's very odd. It works for me and I haven't heard of another issue of this. So in Dual Object Connect Mode it doesn't work?

Shots in the dark, but try a couple of things. Change Workspaces and try. Switch Users on the computer. Run disk utilities and repair permissions.

Update:

Apparently the side of the line that remains is not random (nothing ever is): If I originally draw 2 intersecting lines - the first from left to right and the other from top to bottom, and I go to connect/combine those 2 lines into an "L", it will always leave the left and top portions of the lines (whichever side I started drawing the lines from)

And also, the multiple object combine tool does the same thing. It is not immune!

I tried to switch workspaces and users, but neither solved the problem. Hmmmmm?