VW2010 Stair Tools

All I want to do is create a simple, exterior, concrete stair with a 48"X60" concrete platform at the top, with a legal handrail/guardrail on one side of the stair and platform, and a legal handrail attached to an adjacent wall on the other side. The handrail/guardrail will be set into the concrete, so will be offset a couple of inches from the edges of the stair and platform.

This is a simple, and common stair, found at many building exit doors.

And, wouldn't it be great if each stair stringer did not show a break line at each riser (on the exposed side)?

The new stair tool is severly challenged to do these simple things, it seems, as is the older, custom stair tool.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. This forum is good.

Regarding the stair tools, it's certainly remarkable how sophisticated they are, yet it's ironic that there are so many limitations. Someone, or a team, has spent gobs of time writing code, yet it never seems to quite get there. Just attaching a handrail to a wall instead of to the stair... But there are so many vairiables, can a CAD program be expected to anticipate them all? And what about creativity? Formulaic approaches are not likely to satisfy new ideas.

Overall, v2010 amazes me. The whole viewport thing amazes me - how easy it is to use and what a great tool it is. I'm aware this is not new, but it does seem to be evolving well.

Edited by ErichR
Someone, or a team, has spent gobs of time writing code, yet it never seems to quite get there.

There's more in your comment than you probably realise Erich. Spending gobs of time writing code is not the answer. Good user interface design is.

can a CAD program be expected to anticipate them all?

Absolutely it can. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply lacking imagination.

Formulaic approaches are not likely to satisfy ...

Agreed.