Sign in to follow this  
Yancka

Roof question

I'm trying to make Roof object and succeed to make it until certain level (Picture 3). What I'm missing is possibility to make the higher gable (horizontal) to continue until the lower gable (vertical) and create triangle window in the space there (Picture 5). The concept would be to make what in VW is called "Dutch Hip", but I don't succeed, nevertheless the option isn't grayed out.

Any hints on making it with roof object? Or ungroup and then adjust roof faces?

In this particular case there are two solutions (that I know of): 1) Ungroup the Roof, which will give you its various Roof Faces, then modify the Roof Faces as needed., or 2) Create it as two separate Roofs.

thx Peter, I already made it by ungrouping but was hoping there's something I'm missing.

No, that particular configuration doesn't have a selection handle on the portion of the roof which you wanted to change. FWIW, there is a Dutch Gable option, but obviously only works on a face which is selectable...

The triangular window is an interesting innovation. It looks like you are making an enclosed light well -- so that the triangular window acts as a skylight for the first floor.

The triangular window is an interesting innovation.

I disagree on this. Triangular or custom shape windows aren't innovation. It's just possibility to make same things otherwise, which has been practiced through ages.

It looks like you are making an enclosed light well -- so that the triangular window acts as a skylight for the first floor.

This is exactly how it works - you've got the idea!

New to this Forum so not sure this is the right place for my question. What is the best way of designing a 'Willow Sloped Roof' (not sure that this is what it's called) ?

Welcome, but... this is not the right place. As your question is a new question, please start a new thread. It is also helpful if you create a signature which contains your system and VW's version info, etc.

Will start a new thread. Signature done. Thanks for your help.

Hi Jonathan, Peter:

Is there a way to make the other ungrouped roofs visible while editing one segment? It would make the aligning process easier...

I have the preferences set to "show other objects while in editing modes" checked.