Can't Modify Spread & Height

Just upgraded to VW 2010 (from 12.5, big jump). When I place trees on the drawing, the height and spread data in the Object Info palette is 'gray' so I can not modify the sizes of individual plants. Used to be able to do this under VW12.5. Has there been a change in VW2010 or do I need to change a preference somewhere?

Marc

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Marc, These fields can be edited in its definition. Right click on the plant object, choose edit and then choose definition. You can edit the height/spread there. Also, this would need to be done with each of the instances you used this object. From this point out, you would want to edit the definition as a resource so that every time you place afterward, it will take on the new height/spread.

Eric

Hello Eric;

Thank you for getting right back in touch. By changing the data through Edit > Definition, one changes the specs for ALL cases of that same symbol on the drawing. In the past (VW 12) by using the Object Info palette, one could adjust the sizes of individual plant symbols without changing all instances of that symbol at the same time. Is that no longer possible in VW 2010?

If so, it seems the way VW is set up, one needs to have a separate symbol for every possible plant at every possible size -- literally thousands of separate symbols. A 15' Prunus sargentii symbol cannot be used for an 8' Prunus sargentii, and likewise, a 15' Malus sylvestris sieversii symbol cannot be used for a 15' Malus sylvestris domestica (if the auto plant tag is to be used). The number of iterations, of unique and separate symbols, that this requires is mind-boggling!

What would be ideal (in my humble view) would be to have around 15~20 generic symbols (decid. tree, flowering tree, evergreen tree, decid shrub, evergreen shrub.... etc) that could be individually modified, aftrer placement in the drawing, with a spread size and plant ID name. Is this not possible?

Marc

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Marc, When the version 2008 was rolled out, it changed the plant object significantly to make it a parametrically controlled object...so it is the data that is provided in its definition that tells it how wide and tall it needed to be be. So once this was done, you essentially would have to have multiple plant objects to have multiple sized plants of the same species.

I would recommend placing a wish list request, here on the community board to request seeing this functionality (or scalable symbols/objects) to fulfill the workflow you are seeking. http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=12&page=1

Eric

• 11 years later...

I currently use Vectorworks 2021 and have this issue with SOME plant symbols. I have a tree that can have a custom spread and height for each instance. Then I have a tree which is "locked" for lack of a better term. It appears that I would have to do as you described and create a new plant to have a different spread and height. Why would this be the case that it works for one and not the other? Having a tree or plant in general with spread and height that can be adjusted in the object info palette would be beneficial for a conceptual plan where we would like to show trees of various sizes without having to place several different species.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, did you get a solution for this problem? I have an older project (last year) where I can do individual changes without problems. Had to get new license recently and suddenly it is indeed 'locked'. I still can make the individual changes in the old file. Even if I copy a plant from old file, it allows it. So...where is the bug causing it? How to avoid it?

Thanks, Marie