The mystery of Fonts

I recently got a copy of the font "Graphite" (multiple master) and installed it in the font folder.It contained a TrueType suitcase, a postscript printer font description. and another "document" with a .amm suffix.

When used in Illustrator it displays properly, but in VW8.5.2 (and M$ Word) it displays as unsmoothed Lego.ATM is turned on.

Are there any FontMeisters out there?

thanks,Nicholas

Another user had called Tech Support regarding this issue. It appears it is older version of ATM are the problem. By downloading the latest version, you would clear this up.

It may very well have been there and was not corrupt, but simply was not compatable with VW and O/S 9.1.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Brian O ]

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid all is not well. For the most part ATM (v. 4.6 for the Mac) has cured font issues in the past. I have been trying out the latest VWA 9.5 beta and found that not all my fonts show up. Graphite in particular, as well as Tekton. These are typical architectural fonts. Hence, it has rendered my use of VWA useless.

I tried copying font files into the system's font folders, but no joy there either. Everything works fine with VWA 8.5.2 and 9.01 running in Classic mode (9.2.1). So the problem is not necessarily with ATM, unless it is more to do with System X. (Although the fonts do show up in other OS X native programs.) Might this be a bug to work out in VWA 9.5?

Any ideas anyone? I am using a PB G3 (Bronze keyboard-Lombard), OS X 10.1.1 with all the latest software updates. shocked.gif" border="0

I am also having font display problems in Classic mode, but with VW 9.1. I'm using atm 4.6. The font I use is Tiepolo, a seriphed, post script type I font.

It displays jagged. It seems to be a display problem because it prints as it is supposed to print, even if I print to acrobat.

I am not having font display problems in other applications.

I'll be glad to kiss Classic good bye. Hint. Hint.

Donald

A font update for us all.

I just read the following in MacFixIt:

Also note: "PostScript Type 1 Multiple Master fonts are not yet supported on Mac OS X."

I have all of my fonts that I use with VWA 9.01 installed in my OS 9.2.1 documents folder and am using ATM 4.6. All works well under Classic. I guess I'll simply have to wait for VWA 9.5 native or VWA 10 (?).

Thanks all for your input.

Final question: If I simply patch my VWA 9.01 with 9.5 on a computer running only OS 9.1, would that allow me to use my fonts and the improved version of VWA? (I have been testing all the new upgrades for OS X on a laptop at home before I make the big leap at the office.) Thanks for your input in advance. shocked.gif" border="0

I may be able to help you Irving. As I understand it:OSX uses a "new" system for managing fonts based on the PDF standard (called ATS). As such it makes ATM (theoreticly) redundant, and Adobe have announced that it will not support an OSX version of ATM.In order to take advantage of the ATS, the application has to be written to use it. Now VW9.5 is not OSX native; if it were it would not work in Classic.So in the process of "Carbonizing" apps, developers have to make a decision on where to start chewing through the mountain of code which has to be rewritten, and apparently a number of them have chosen to leave the ATS untill the fundamental bits are functioning.When the App is fully Carbonised, or better still, OSX Native, the "Apple Type Solution" should then support "any" font type or style. (theoreticaly)

As for why the treacherous little blighters don't work in VW8.5..........The mystery of Fonts!

HTH,Nicholas :-o

Thanks for the additional information, Nicholas.

Another point to bring up is that "Classic Mode" is simply O/S X running with the familiar styles of 9. You are still within the core O/S X. If you have a different partition installation and boot directly to O/S 9.x and not "Classic Mode" boot, many problems are also aleved.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Brian O ]