PC Specification

Hey

We have been told that having more memory and a better graphics card will not make much difference when rendering. This does not seem right to me. I would think that running a 64-Bit system with 16mb memory and having a good graphics card would make a difference over a 32-bit system and a lower spec graphics cards.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Quad Core 2

4mb

Quatro FX 1700

The local sales people.

The main problem is that I cant' do much else while the computer is rendering as it slows down the whole machine. So I'm thinking that 64-bit and more memory will at least let me do other work on the PC while it is rendering.

Your 64 bit machine will not run VW any faster as it's a 32 bit compiled program. In fact, you may notice a little lag as it's emulating VW rather than straight running it.

Having more cores is definitely a plus. More memory will help, although at 32 bit VW cannot address more than 3 gigs anyway.

You may find that batch rendering lets you use other programs a little better, as it won't take up screen drawing processes, just writes them to file.

Grant is correct about running VW2010 and earlier. What we don't know is when VW will be able to take advantage of 64 bit.

If you are getting a new machine, get the biggest fastest bestest that you can afford and plan to replace it in three years.

Or get a mid-range machine and plan to replace it in 18 months.