Align plane - roof tiles to roof

In the tips&tricks Tips&Tricks movie -> tip no. 4 -> aligning roof tiles to roof with the align plane tool.

However, when i try doing exactly the same i get this message:

"The Align Plane tool does not work with walls or roofs. They must remain oriented relative to the active layer plane."

I used the exact tools order as in the movie....:

roof -> set working plane

tiles -> align plane. then i get the message....

Seems to make sense to me, as those objects (roofs and walls) have parameters tied to layer geometry. It's best to use 3D symbols, extrudes or other boolean geometry as your roof tile objects to align to working plane.

I must applaud the improvement of the Working Planes tool/command/palette. There are still some less-than-intuitive procedures, but it's a whole world better than before.

Hi Ken,

If you have seen the section in the movie (4) you can see that the demonstration is specifically regarding roof and roof tiles.

But i figured out the problem:

I used a hybrid symbol. and that made a conflict with the plane.

As soon as deleted the 2D object it snaps perfectly to the roof object.

:-)))

Tami, glad you figured it out. The non mention of a hybrid symbol in the warning message does seem inconsistent. They should at least say, "the align plane tool does not work with walls, roofs or 2D/3D symbols. They must remain oriented relative to the active layer plane." It's a minor issue, but hopefully NNA can pick this up.

That Top Ten movie, as well as Jonathan's excellent tutorial, actually show the object as a group, not a roof tile symbol. Probably a group of extrudes.

Many thanks to Jonathan for sharing. I always pick up tips when watching those movies!