fonts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray

I am new to the community board so I don't know how it really works. I have come across some of your replies to FONT problems and wondered whether you would be able to tell me the location of the fonts in VW2010. I struggle to find it. I would like to add some new ones.

My email is: edelweiss@paradise.net.nz

Cheers - Urs

I am very new to Vectorworks -- and I have system fonts that i want to use.

I use 'TwoByFour' http://www.fonthead.com/fonts/TwoByFour by Fonthead Design and I really like it.

My question is--is there a way that i can see my font(s) while working on the drawing? Like for visual spacing, etc.

All I can see is Arial--no matter what i chose in the font selection menu.

Thanks!

Preston

Preston,

I think I know what the problem may be. Go into Vectorworks Preferences (Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences), click on the Display tab, and then click on the Edit Font Mappings button. If there is a list of Font Mappings, delete them. I suspect you may be mapping some fonts to Arial.... so they don't show up as themselves, but as Arial instead.

Kevin

Hi Preston, you should be able to see your font as you type by setting it to be your default font. In order to select your choice of font as the "default" font, make sure that nothing is selected and that the cursor is of the plain 2d selection type (*not* the text cursor - which would indicate that the text tool is the active tool) and then go to the Menu>Text>Font Pulldown and select the chosen font, size and style. This will now be your default font. So when you subsequently select the text tool and begin typing, you should see your font as you go. One caveat: certain fonts tend to jump a little when exiting (or entering) the text field. This can be annoying, but it's gotten a little better over time, and will hopefully continue to improve. [EDIT: I just tried this on one of the fonts that I have seen jump. In the latest version this problem seems to be solved....]

Also, as a side note, I would consider your question to be a new question and not exactly "on topic" for this particular thread. In the future it would probably be good to start a new thread when you have a new question, issue or comment. Thanks!

Hope that helps, P

Edited by CipesDesign

Kevin: no mappings ... but it was worth the try.

Peter: OK, I selected the font as my 'default' and when I type a text field on the drawing, it appears in the correct Architectural font. However, when I release (back to the 2D tool) the font reverts to Arial.

I'm using Designer; Spotlight and the Lighting Postions i have noted with the correct font--but also appear to be Arial.

While I've got you on the line--I have many fonts in my system. I also work with our show Graphics Design. So when I open the Text>Fonts menu--two screens of fonts appear--and no way to go past them to the rest of the alphabet of listings. Any ideas there? --- (sorry--probably should be in another thread -- but while we're in my font nightmare...)

Thank you,

Preston

Preston, try some different fonts and see if you get the same behavior. You may have an older or bad font. What font did you use? Where did you get it?

To access fonts that are off screen in the font menu, create a text block, then use the pull down menu in the Object Info Palette to set the font that you want. That font will now be at the beginning of the font menu in the favorites and you will be able to choose it as the default.

Every font I choose will 'type' in the correct font--but then when it's released, then to Arial. I did find one rogue lighting position that was helvitica--but it did the same thing.

The font I want to use is "Two-By-Four" from Fonthead (http://www.fonthead.com/fonts/TwoByFour) and I purchased it from them in Jan 2010. It works in all programs--and works while "selected" in Vw2010/Spotlight.

I'm totally confused!

Thanx, y'all!