Rebuild the Standard Workspace

Tom G.

Question

I suggest the standard workspace can be better optimized for the vast majority of users. This need not wait until the user is secure enough or frustrated enough to learn how to modify the palette on their own.

1. The 2D selection tool is on the wrong side of the palette given that it is the most used tool. The 3D selection tool should be nested behind it.

2. The Flyover tool should be at the bottom of the palette. Keep the 2D tools as a block with 3D tools below them.

3. Nest least-used tools behind those of the same general type which see greater usage.

4. Bring back two dimensions--straight and angled--and place them at the bottom of the palette but above the 3D tool(s). Nest angled behind straight. Hunting down dimensions on a distant palette is a time waster.

5. Why is the spiral tool taking up valuable space? If there were ever a cause to nest a tool, this is it. In all my years with the Seattle User Group, I've only met one person who used this tool.

I believe the palette as it exists serves few and a couple of tweaks will improve usability substantially. The majority of users will continue to click on icons. While using key commands is a goal, this shouldn't cause us to loose track of optimizing this essential palette. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Sorry Tom, i can only back you on No 4, but then dimensions alway have been a sore point.

i've always used 2 screens so most of your suggestions would only be of hinderance, but more efficient HELP with the Workspace Editor might speed up confidence aquisition for new users. I still get lost. :)

I suggest the standard workspace can be better optimized for the vast majority of users. This need not wait until the user is secure enough or frustrated enough to learn how to modify the palette on their own.

I understand your frustration, but be aware that one of the strengths of Vectorworks over the years has been a certain amount of visual consistency in the user interface. It stays more or less the same from version to version.

Other developers like to constantly tinker with how their applications work; change palettes, menus and command keys... and this can cause major adjustment problems for users.

As it stands, Vectorworks has ENOUGH interface inconsistencies (didn't I just say it was consistent? LOL ) to wrestle with, but drastically changing one of the major tool palette layouts will not help other users.

I hate to sound like a crank, but plow into the Workspace Editor (speaking of horrible interfaces) and tweak a COPY of the workspace you use most. You'll be able to arrange the tool palettes and menus to suit YOUR workflow and abilities.

Plus, you'll have it TODAY instead of praying for Nemetschek to do it. After all, they're too busy adding features no one will ever use, rather than making VW work better.

I suggest the standard workspace can be better optimized for the vast majority of users.

I just got through teaching one of my Vectorworks classes. Oddly enough, we were going through Workspaces and the Workspace Editor. AND when I got home and turned on my iPad, this forum page was still open!

Anyway, this what I tell them:

Learn (and tweak) the keyboard commands for accessing tools and menu items!!! It's so much faster and more efficient than mousing around (or in my case, trackballing on a dual-display setup)! In fact, I often forget where different menu items and tools are... BTW, I am NOT a typist!

Hey Tom, unfortunately my iPod can't access your site(the Apple/Flash anomolly) but i will, and while i'm here, Jeffrey hit the nail squarely on the head.

VW's consistant inconsistancies is what makes it so attractive to many of it's users(also what creates most of the grievances) but it does make it, to a high degree, customisable.

Clouds and Silver Linings . . . .

:)

Edited by AndiACD
VW's consistant inconsistancies is what makes it so attractive to many of it's users(also what creates most of the grievances) but it does make it, to a high degree, customisable.

Vectorworks' FLEXIBILITY ... there being 2, 3 or 4 different ways of being able to do the same thing.

That's an incredible strength of VW!!!

When I mention inconsistencies, it's the way 2 different tools or commands, which do something similar, work differently!

One example: the Align/Distribute dialogue box often takes 4 clicks (or MORE) to "reset" an alignment. The snap grid on the Object Info palette takes ONE click to set a snap point, which is actually a similar task, using a similar visual metaphor (snap grid). These 2 instances should work THE SAME, requiring as FEW clicks as possible.

I'd like to see an Align/Distibute palette, like Freehand.

There are MANY more instances, which at some point, I'd like to recruit other users to compile some sort of master list of such things, with suggestions for fixes and present them to Nemetschek.

I'd like to see an Align/Distibute palette, like Freehand.

Fortunately for us Mac users there is free third party one at Vectorbits - Quick Align:

http://www.vectorbits.com/VectorBits/free/free.html

I use it and their Toggle VW Preferences and Toggle Doc Preferences all the time. They are extremely convenient tools and I couldn't do without them. Almost the first thing I do with each new version is create a new Workspace and add the Vectorbits tools.

I'm really surprised NNA haven't adopted them. Particularly the Quick Align tool.