Curved LED with VS4

Hi Guys,

Using the VS4 tool, I have created my screen matrix but I now want to align it to the curved shape it needs to be. I don't believe there is a way to do this with VS4 (unless there actually is, please tell!) but what I thought I could do is convert the matrix to 3d polys and then modify it manually from there. Trying to do this removes the screen texture which defeats the whole purpose.

Is there another way to accomplish a curve. The matrix is made up of thousands of distributed modules (think MiPix) so its pretty important for it to retain the actual 'image'.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alex -

At this point, VS4-LED will only create flat/straight arrays. A curved array option has been on the wish-list for a while. We're just not quite there, yet. Sorry...

The only real option I see you having (and it might very-well defeat the purpose of using the tool in the first place) it to create multiple VS4-LED instances - each instance being a straight vertical column in your larger array. You can then scale and shift the image to be a slice of your bigger whole and move the columns to form your curve. Like I said, this might be a ton of work, but this is what comes to mind.

I'd love to hear if any of our other users have come up with a creative solution for similar needs...

Regards -

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah pretty much what I did is create the matrix in collums of two, did a massive (and processor intensive) duplicate along path (the vs modules) then about 30 minutes of manually offsetting the image x and y and scale to get it to look correct.

Worked great in VW. Not so good in vision...

One problem at a time I guess!

Thanks Anyway!

• 2 years later...

In a pinch:

Duplicate a line along path

Extrude full height

In Front view- extrude rectangles to form your gaps

Solid Subtract

Apply Texture

as you see the planar mapping distorts the image when the curve becomes extreme (rocks on the right)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8973&filename=Render.png