An Image/3D shapes over a sphere?

Search the Forums for a few earlier postings related to mapping a texture/image to a spheric surface.

The easiest solution is with gores mapping. If you use Photoshop there's a plugin > Flexify which will help with the creation of the gores necessary for the texture mapping ( it will apply any image including a grid ).

VW uses NURBS surfaces for this purpose. The SphereObject included with VW will not map a surface texture... so don't bother with it. Create the NURBS>Gores instead.

It's a challenge ... on the bright side ... Google Earth took a few years to get it right ( compare the historic images for distortion : )

I know a bit about texture maping and that would work fine for this purpose, but I am still curious how I would take a shape, say a continent shape, make it 3/4" thick then lay it over a sphere... That way I can get a good 3D render... its mostly a fun problem to figure out at this point... Thanks for all the help! That Photoshop plugin will most definitely come in handy.

James