VW9 importing ACAD2000 dwg

VYA

I have read many suggestions on how AutoCad file originators can solve specific VW import problems, (zoom extents, explode, etc), but we have files from 3 different sources, who have tried several variations (v.14, v.2000) and there is substantial info missing when we import to VW9. We don't feel it appropriate to send lengthy instructions to the people we share files with.

I sent one file to tech support & then called - pretty much all the tech could tell me was there there was something "way out in space, they can't have things out in space." All we could see on that drawing when importing was the north arrow and the title block. What I don't understand is I keep reading about how paper space items are the problem, but it looks to me like that's all we're getting.

Are there just a few basic instructions we can give Autocad users to make the file understandable to VW? Also, the few people I know who use VW are still on 8.5.2, but they say they have better luck with DXF. Any thoughts?

I saw mention of a 3rd party plug-in on one message (Julian Carr DXF Manager) but cannot find a link to it. Is this old or still useful for VW9?

VYA,

I'm sorry you got a very vague answer when you called. The Technician you were talking to may have thought you were using VectorWorks 8.X. In that version there are serious problems when importing a DXF or DWG which contain objects spaced very far apart.

You should be able to import that kind of a file into Version 9 without too much trouble.

Unfortunately, no product from a company other than Autodesk will have seamless DXF/DWG support. It is a closed file format and I do not believe that they are planning on releasing public specifications about it any time soon.

If you would like more information about this, you may want to check out the OpenDWG Alliance (www.opendwg.org), an industry group working towards developing a fully detailed specification for the file format. Autodesk has been invited to join in the past and add to this effort, but has always refused.

As for the missing information, there are a few things which we do not support yet. For a more complete list and some solutions please check this discussion in our Architect forum http://www.nemetschek.net/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000350

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by VYA:
I have read many suggestions on how AutoCad file originators can solve specific VW import problems, (zoom extents, explode, etc), but we have files from 3 different sources, who have tried several variations (v.14, v.2000) and there is substantial info missing when we import to VW9. We don't feel it appropriate to send lengthy instructions to the people we share files with.

I sent one file to tech support & then called - pretty much all the tech could tell me was there there was something "way out in space, they can't have things out in space." All we could see on that drawing when importing was the north arrow and the title block. What I don't understand is I keep reading about how paper space items are the problem, but it looks to me like that's all we're getting.

Are there just a few basic instructions we can give Autocad users to make the file understandable to VW? Also, the few people I know who use VW are still on 8.5.2, but they say they have better luck with DXF. Any thoughts?

I saw mention of a 3rd party plug-in on one message (Julian Carr DXF Manager) but cannot find a link to it. Is this old or still useful for VW9?

Just to add to Matthew's valuable information, there is also the possibility that the origin is affecting exports. VW 9 honors the relationship of the origin to objects when exporting, so you should try setting the origin of your drawing is at the center of your page to see if this helps so that all objects appear closer when opened in AutoCad.

Regarding importing, "Select All" and "Fit to Object(s) to see if the objects were imported and are just at an extreme distance from the page. Lastly, pending on how the document was saved in AC, VectorWorks always brings the file in Top Plan. In otherwords, if the DWG was in an AutoCad front view will be put in Top View and askew lines such that it may appear that many items are missing. The only solution for that is to verify that the source file is correct and not some type of paper space or 3D view when saved.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Brian O ]

• 3 weeks later...

DXF manager is mostly obsolete, and is not likely to help, as it will just post-process your import rather than change the import.

If you can send the problem files to me at jodawi@nemetschek.net and tell me what to look for, i'll see if i can give you more information.

Currently the most likely cause of "missing" info is ACIS solids. The manual for VW9 indicates how to import these.

Another thing you might want to check is that all classes are visible - DXF has different visibility rules than VW, so you could potentially have groups or symbols that are invisible which are hiding the contents of things inside.

I don't know of any way that VW8 DXF translation is better than VW9, and i know many ways in which VW9 DXF translation is better. If you or people you know have information to the contrary, i'd be interested in getting files that demonstrate that.