Sun Study

I'm trying to do a sun study for my building model, but I can't get any shadows. As usual, the manual is not much help. Do I need Renderworks to do shadows!?

To clarify, I have a model, I set up the sun, and I can get different bnrightnesses on surfaces, but no shadows. The sun does me no good if I can't use it to design sunshades and see how shadows move across my building.

Clients are coming at 4 pm, so please help ASAP.

The standard VW package does not support cast shadows. You need the Ray Trace Rendering Engine included in RW if you want to Cast shadows. RW also supports many different texture types for photo real and interesting abstract rendering. It's well worth the investment IMHO.

Open GL will shade surfaces but will not cast shadows

Good Luck

Yes, Mike is correct, RenderWorks or another Ray Tracing rendering engine is required to have shadows cast on other objects.

Matthew GiamapapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by JRoth:
I'm trying to do a sun study for my building model, but I can't get any shadows. As usual, the manual is not much help. Do I need Renderworks to do shadows!?

To clarify, I have a model, I set up the sun, and I can get different bnrightnesses on surfaces, but no shadows. The sun does me no good if I can't use it to design sunshades and see how shadows move across my building.

Clients are coming at 4 pm, so please help ASAP.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Matthew Giampapa ]

• 10 months later...

Aren't we all bright & cheerful? OK, another thing you should know: once you have RW you will then need to create a surface on which to cast the shadows. A big extruded rectangle at ground level will work, as long as you dont mind it being flat. For more complex (ie: real life) ground & grades, more work is required. PLC