3D Models, cut lists and flattening it.

I have a piece of display piece that I am making it is all out of the same material. The drawing is a 3d model that is the only thing in the drawing. It is made entirely of extrudes. I want a cut list from this. Is there any way of generating a report that will just give me the dimensions of all these different pieces? Maybe say that it is the pieces on a given layer only.

Also in the 3d power pack there is the unfold command. Is there a way of applying this to this model without losing my exturdes? I like my extrudes and I think they are nice and easy to work with. I would like to determine how many sheets of different sheet goods I want and I am hoping I can unfold the whole thing into flat pieces and drop them on guides of the given sheet goods.

Anyone have any thought?

Matt

Matt

I've had good luck making cut lists by classing all the geometry of the same material (ie all the 1x1 steel in one class, 1x2 steel in another class, etc) and dividing the volume of each piece by the area of the cross section in a worksheet.

It falls apart if the ends of the pieces are mitered.

I don't think the unfold command works on solids. You'd have to make NURBS surfaces first...

hth

michaelk