Toggle Snap on/off

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Michelle,

As the others mentioned, there is the key press that will temporarily disable snaps while doing other operations. Nevertheless, the command still comes in handy for me once in a while. To install the command, you need to copy the "Snaps?.vsm" file to the "Plug-ins" folder in the VW User folder. You can get to the VW User folder by Going to the VW preferences in the "User Folder" tab and click the "Reveal in Finder" button (Mac) or "Browse" button (Windows). Once you copy the file ti the Plug-ins folder, Restart VW (if it's running) and add the command to your workspace using the Workspace Editor and give it a convenient key command.

Note: I have it setup to toggle only the "qwsd" snaps. You can change the snaps as desired by changing the plug-in string using the Script Plug-in Editor like this: Select the command in the editor and click on the "Strings" button. You will see just one string category (with an ID of 3000) called "Snaps". Select it and click "Edit". You will see just one string (also with an ID of 3000) and it's string displayed. You should be able to change the string to any combination of the following characters with no spaces or other characters: qwerasdf

Here's a key for each character:

A: Snap To Grid

Q: Snap To Objects

S: Constrain Angle

W: Snap Intersection

D: Smart Points

E: Snap To Distance

F: Smart Edge

R: Constrain Tangent

I know it's not the most intuitive plug-in I've created, but it's free and it gets the job done. :-)

Here's a key for each character:

A: Snap To Grid

Q: Snap To Objects

S: Constrain Angle

W: Snap Intersection

D: Smart Points

E: Snap To Distance

F: Smart Edge

R: Constrain Tangent

I like it Matt, I believe you made it for me once upon a time :)

Do you know what the Character for Snap to Working Plane is (if there is one)?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8620&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-02-07%20kl.%2010.20.45.png

Edited by Vincent C

Hi Vincent,

Yes. It was quite awhile ago. Just over 4years now.

I'm glad you like it! I still find myself using this command when I want all snaps off for a series of tasks.

As for the character for "Snap to Working Plane", have you tried "R"? These characters all coincide with the NV default keyboard shortcuts for the snaps. Since "R" is used for both Tangent and Working Plane, I think it may do it for you.

• 7 years later...
On 4/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, Phillip Tripp said:

Matt Panzer,

Is the custom script to toggle all snap settings desired on/off still available?

Hi Phillip,

I haven't tested this in quite some time but gave it a quick try in Vectorworks 2020 and it seems to work fine.  Copy the attached file to the "Plug-ins" folder in the Vectorworks user folder, restart Vectorworks, add the "Snaps ±" menu command to your workspace using the Workspace Editor, and you should be good to go.

Snaps±.vsm

28 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi Phillip,

I haven't tested this in quite some time but gave it a quick try in Vectorworks 2020 and it seems to work fine.  Copy the attached file to the "Plug-ins" folder in the Vectorworks user folder, restart Vectorworks, add the "Snaps ±" menu command to your workspace using the Workspace Editor, and you should be good to go.

Snaps±.vsm 3.39 kB · 2 downloads

35 minutes ago, Phillip Tripp said:

Thank you Matt!  Works perfect.

Interesting discovery is the custom string to choose which snaps to toggle prefers the default snap shortcut keys ASDQWE for example and fails to work if you enter any user chosen snap shortcut key strokes. 

You're welcome!  glad it still works!  🙂

Right.  The characters in the string are fixed internal settings for the Vectorscript call used.  It does not look at user custom keyboard shortcuts.