Clip tool, splitting hairs

9.5.0b7

Is it my imagination, or is the clip tool now slower than most other tools? Is the introduction of floating point math responsible for this tremendous slow-down?

With 901, 950b5, and 9507, splitting two lines 'By Line' causes to VW to hang (or is creating a 45+ sec. delay). I've had it work in the past (901, I think it was), but it doesn't seem to work now...

Yes, the new coordinate system is a bit more work here as well, but on most machines this should still be a snappy operation.

The two factors which should effect the speed of this command is the complexity of the surfaces, and the 2D conversion resolution in the preferences. If you have used VectorScript to set the value above Very High, or the objects are extremely complex (Check the number of Vertices at the bottom of the object info dialog) this command could take a significant amount of time.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
9.5.0b7Is it my imagination, or is the clip tool now slower than most other tools? Is the introduction of floating point math responsible for this tremendous slow-down?With 901, 950b5, and 9507, splitting two lines 'By Line' causes to VW to hang (or is creating a 45+ sec. delay). I've had it work in the past (901, I think it was), but it doesn't seem to work now...

Once again, this proves I read questions too fast. No cookie for me mad.gif" border="0 .

When dealing with lines your right the 2D res has little to do with it.

I assume that here, when you say clip, you mean the Trim or Split tool. In that case I'm not too sure. I will ask Testing about it to see if they have seen the same thing in the performance tests.

If you are certain it's slower, set up a file and compare it to 9.0.1. If you get noticeably slower results, send the file and what you did to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net and we will see what can be done to speed it up.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
What if the res is set to 'very high', and I'm clipping LINES, in a drawing that has no more than a few hundred lines, and perhaps a couple dozen arcs?

VWbeta7 running on G3 @ 350MHz

Betas are not official releases, so I agree that the developers aren't under any obligation to support them.

However...

9.5.0b5/7 (and maybe others) are PUBLICLY-released betas. I'm assuming they are released as such for a reason. I had thought that this reason was so the developers can get discussion-style feedback on the product. If the ONLY feedback they receive is in the form of bug reports, it becomes easy to lose track of 'the big picture', i.e. the product as a whole.

If one does not want to see 8.x/9.0 calls for help muddled in with discussion of problems in a beta, perhaps a separate discussion area should be set up. In essence, those of us trying out the latest beta are providing a free, informal bug-testing service, nicht wahr? The advantage of public beta testers is that the product undergoes more diverse testing, regardless of whether or not the corresponding fixes will/can be implemented before release.

I agree that feedback is important and that there is nothing stopping you from doing so, and there is a place for that to be done that is more effective than the message board. We try to get to posts as soon as possible, however there are times that we miss posts, have a delayed time getting to them, etc. Your input will eventually get to the right people, however delays may prevent the information from being processed quickly enough to effect the necessary changes. This is the reason that all “beta testers” are asked to respond via e-mail. Through the e-mail bugsubmit@nemetschek.net -- where the developers and testers immediately get the feedback rather than going through three or 4 other people/departments to get the information -- your input will be a more valuable resource towards development.

You can post to the message board about the beta as much as you like, as we are not preventing this at all. I was simply trying to explain that Technical Support (Technical Support Message Board) is under no obligation to reply to any problems related to non-released items. We strive to provide the best support possible, however we must focus on the current shipping version and therefore tend not to address beta posts.

The Testing department and Developers do not have time to go through all the red tape, nor do they have a great deal of free time to go through the posts to the message board at this stage of the game. The best bet to effectively get your information seen is through the bugsubmit@nemetschek.net, which is checked constantly by Testing and Development.

As for a separate area for Beta, simply look at the current headers and you will see that threads are not always in the correct location (bugs listed in Tech Notes, Wishes in General, Problems for RenderWorks in Architectural). The only way to guarantee direct input be heard is through the e-mail. smile.gif" border="0

We understand your desire to be heard and you will be through bugsubmit@nemetschek.net regarding the beta. Furthermore, not only will it be heard but also it will be addressed and is highly appreciated.

Unfortunately there are channels that we must go through and I was simply trying to provide you with the one that would be most efficient. Na Klar?

titanium,

Please create a file that duplicates the problem that can be shown to have decreased speed in 9.5beta as compared to 9.0.1 and submit it to bugsubmit@nemestchek.net so that it can be duplicated by our testing department.

As always, Betas are not final releases and are not supported through Technical Support or the Message Board provided for released product discussion. Any problems relating to the beta that you find should be submitted to the address above.

Thanks.