Copy Paste issues in Vectorworks 11

Hello!

I'm using Vectorworks 11. I have one main Vectorworks file and a load of DXFs which I need to import into it. I've tried a couple of methods:

1) Import all the DXFs directly into the file. Each of the files appears at a different scale.

2) Make a base file. Create a blank document, import a file into that then copy and paste into the main file. The first file works fine but each file after that doesn't paste properly - only some of the shapes appear (pasting into another blank document works meaning it's the pasting that is causing the problems, not the copying). When I do it this way the scales are correct and the layers match up but not all of the content is there.

I get the impression I'm missing something! Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks for the response.

Classes are all turned on. I've been using paste in place. I've tried making a new design layer for each one. Still the same result, I'm afraid!

The really weird part is that the first time you paste something in it works perfectly but after that it only works partially.

In fact last time I tried it the first one pasted without a problem but when I pasted the second one it pasted the first one again but positioned in the wrong place and with a few bits of the second one as well!

This might be a shifted user origin, if "Paste in place" is your problem.

If you import your dxf files the user origin might shift. In VW11 you have no control over this.

In order to have paste in place work reliably you need both files to have the same user origin.

Orso's Golden Rule (LOL):

Whenever you do an import, please observe this sequence:

* Create a new file

* do your import from there

* make sure you are in a design layer (not sheet layer)

* do Ctrl +9: the "Set origin" dialog appears.

* click on "Set origin to drawing center" and confirm with OK

Now the drawing where you imported the dxf/dwg file has the user origin restored to the absolute origin. At this point pasting should work as expected.

Paste is always relative to the user origin: during "copy" the coordinates of the copied objects are loaded, then by "paste" these coordinates are used to determine the insertion point.

In later VW versions, there is the option "Center after import". If you uncheck this you are always sure that your user origin is preserved.

Most user origin shifts are due to the option "Center..." activated.

----

Then now set yourself to work :) and make sure that ALL files you use have a proper user origin. Use the dialog "Set Origin > Set origin to drawing center" on all your files, while on a design layer. Do this. A shifted user origin will cause you a huge amount of troubles. Specially if your work with references and Viewports.

If you don't need this shift of the origin (because you work with certain landscape files, for example) you surely have a shifted origin that you don't need.

Thanks for the reply Orso.

I've managed to get the layers paste-in-place-ing to the correct position (unless I import multiple DXFs at once). The problem is I can only do it once. I'll try and break down the steps as much as possible:

- I create a new file. This will be where all the data eventually ends up: let's call it the base file.

- [whenever I open a new file I set the origin, units and scale so that everything matches up]

- I create another new file [lets call this Import1]. Into this I import DXF number 1.

- I select all and copy from Import1.

- I paste-in-place this into the base file.

- I create another new file [lets call this Import2] and import DXF number 2.

- I copy the data from Import2.

- I paste-in-place this data.

- Instead of the data from Import2 being pasted, the data from Import1 is pasted instead. I can't think why it would do this? Is there any reason you would want it to do this?

Interestingly I don't have the option "Center after import" in that dialog.

It's not a case of things not appearing.

I'll try and explain...

I can copy and paste and it works perfectly but ONLY ONCE! After that it just pastes the same data as it pasted the first time no matter if you copy something different or not.

I have done some experiments:

Copying data from document A into new document B - works.

Copying data from document C into new document B - works.

Copying data from document A into document B AND THEN copying data from document C into document B - doesn't work - pastes document A data twice.

Copying data from document A to new document B and then copying data from document A into new document D - works.

Which suggests to me that it's the paste (in place) function that is causing the problems.

Hi, your copy stopped working, that's why you paste always the same.

I had this also on WinXP in the past.

Is no VW issue, is a known WinXP issue. Please check this in google.

Probably.

Would you post a file here? I think that we all by now wish to try... :)

orso

PS

You have no "Center.." in that dialog because you have VW11, I told you wouldn't have it there.

Consider upgrading, is really better to work with VW15.