Can't get Dutch Hip roof to work

I'm trying to make a dutch hip roof with the roof object but can't get it to work.

If the roof is anything but a rectangle, the Dutch Hip option is grayed out.

On a simple rectangular roof, no value seems to work in the Gable Inset field. Any value entered returns a "Gable Inset value is not valid" error. If I enter a negative number, the error message enters an infinite loop and I have to force quit the application.

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

It works for me in a new drawing from Architect(Imperial) Template

Rectangle 20' x 50'

AEC>Create Roof- Thickness 10", Pitch 30?, Bearing Height 0

Edit roof by clicking on handle - Roof Edge Shape - Dutch Hip

It accepts values >0 (it automatically sets the max)

Adjacent roof faces cannot be dutchly hipped

I'm really getting tired of the old VW shuffle - when something doesn't work in the file that you've been working on for months, open a blank drawing and everything works just fine.

I have never used a piece of software that suffered from "corrupted" files as often as VW.

You're right, bcd. It works just fine in a blank drawing.

I made what I needed in a blank drawing and then pasted it into my drawing.

I just ran into the same issue, thus finding this thread. I discovered that the error message came up when I tried to put a dutch hip (really a full greek return) on a gable end that was at the end of ridge line along the short axis of the rectangle. In other words, for your 20 x 50 rectangle the error would occur when the ridge was 20' long, but not if the ridge was 50'.

To compensate I made my roof longer than it needed to be, made the greek return, and cut the roof to the correct length in the edit mode.