9.5.0b5... and other 9.5 betas

Shouldn't 9.5.x, beta though it is, contain all the fixes that 9.0.1 has? Is it built on the 9.0.1 release code, or was 9.5 development begun before 9.0.1 went gold?

One example: distance measurement tool works okay in 9.0.1, but serves as an excellent random number generator in 9.5.0b5. Two endpoints, exactly 3" apart. Click on first endpoint, then hover around the second endpoint, as the pointer snaps on and off of it. You may get 2 7/8", maybe 3 1/8", or even 3", depending on how you approach the second point. Display is set to 1/64"; this is a fresh drawing.

I believe the versions are additive. Many, many things have been fixed in 9.5.0b7, Including the tape measure tool as Hannes pointed out. But new problems have shown up as well. I'd say for the programmers its a moving target, you fix one thing and something seemingly unrelated pops up.

For instance, We have experienced the problem in 9.0.1 where if you use a non-standard workspace and try to print to a post-script print you will get post-script errors. If you switch back to a standard workspace it prints no problem. Now, why would you workspace have anything to do with printing? I donno, but it does.

Our experience with the tape measure tool was in 9.0.1 is was unusably slow, in 9.5.0b5 it was very fast but completely inaccurate, in 9.5.0b7 it works as it should.

Good Luck

All of the fixes implemented in 9.0.1 should be present in the 9.5b series. What is much more likely is that some other change for 9.5 broke something else. In any complex system there will always be unanticipated results of a change, but we try not to let it happen.

That is why we aren't technically allowed to say ___ will be fixed in 9.5. It may be working in the current test version, but there is no guarantee that it may not break again in a totally unexpected way with another tweak.

If you see something that is not working in a new version that used to work, it is most likely a bug or not meant to work like that in the first place. Send it over to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by MikeB:
I believe the versions are additive. Many, many things have been fixed in 9.5.0b7, Including the tape measure tool as Hannes pointed out. But new problems have shown up as well. I'd say for the programmers its a moving target, you fix one thing and something seemingly unrelated pops up.

For instance, We have experienced the problem in 9.0.1 where if you use a non-standard workspace and try to print to a post-script print you will get post-script errors. If you switch back to a standard workspace it prints no problem. Now, why would you workspace have anything to do with printing? I donno, but it does.

Our experience with the tape measure tool was in 9.0.1 is was unusably slow, in 9.5.0b5 it was very fast but completely inaccurate, in 9.5.0b7 it works as it should.

Good Luck

quote:

Originally posted by MikeB:
I'd say for the programmers its a moving target, you fix one thing and something seemingly unrelated pops up.

True. That's why it is in Beta and not an official release. Public Beta helps on a grander scale so that there are more opportunities to find problems faster.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Brian O ]