Section Marker

If you're talking about a section line/marker generated from the Create Section Viewport command, you'll fine at the bottom of the section veiwport's OIP a button called section line instances. From there you can activate where the section line appears.

I guess StaticDOS wants to see the Section lines,

in the viewports in Top/plan view, to visualise,

the Position of the sections generated by the Section Viewport(s)

I also tried a a couple of times to get them displayed in Top/Plan-Viewports on

Sheet layers, as they are diplayed on the Design Layer in top Plan View, without

I ended up in drawing a Line on Top of the Section Line Marker in the Design layer,

and Added text inthe Annotions of the Viewport...

If the method works for you and is efficient then there's no problem.

There is however an elegant solution available in the software that provides good control over wherever you want a section line instances to appear and not appear.

Horst M., after you cut a section line and are taken to the Section Viewport by the command, you'll find at the bottom of the Section Viewport's OIP a button called Section Line Instances. At the top of that dialogue is a drop down that allows you to choose either Design Layers or Viewports, place a tick beside all the Top/Plan-Viewports you want the section line to show up in there. After you have done that return to either a design layer or a viewport that you selected for an instance to appear in and edit the section line's appearance. All instances will change accordingly.

The advantage this has over the method above is the section line remains live wherever it appears and can be used to adjust the section at any time.

I use the viewport section markers regularly. What I think is confusing this discussion is that they do not seem to show up in viewports. This was a problem in VW 2008 and does not seem to have been addressed in VW 2010.

I have to draw in the regular section marker over the section instance to make it show in a viewport. I have had similar issues with design layer viewport not appearing in sheet layer viewports as well.

Edited by Diamond

To have Section Markers show for Sheet Layer Section VPs you need to designate which Design Layers and which Sheet Layer Viewports you want then to show in through the Section Line Instances dialog box for the Section accessed from the Object Info Palette (OIP) when the Section is selected.

When information doesn't show up in Sheet Layer Viewports it is usually a Class visibility issue. look at both the "container Class" of the object that is 'missing' and the Classes which are set to visible for that Viewport.

Hi Mike.

I just checked that the class of the Section Marker. It is in the "None" class. Just to make sure it was nothing inside it, I converted the Section Marker Object to a group and ungrouped it to check if anything was in another class. It wasn't. To double check this again, I turned on every class in the viewport just to make sure. The marker still doesn't show.

I've found that the only way to make the section lines show up in plan viewports is to select the section viewport, click "Section Line Instances" in the OIP, and then go to "Viewports" under "Find instances in" at the top of the dialog box; then you need to check the viewports in which you want the section line to appear.

Simply turning on the class containing a section line instance on a floor plan design layer will not make that design layer instance show up in your viewport. At least that's what I've found.

The one issue I've been having is that most of my section line instances have their text revert back to Geneva, overriding my choice of a different font ? rather aggravating. Has anyone else been encountering this?

Cheers,

Markus

• 2 weeks later...

@ markuskolb

I've been having one of my section markers (out of 8 different cuts) keep going back to Arial for some reason... no idea how to get it to stick to the font I keep changing it too... the other markers stick to the changed font though which is weird... If you ever figure it out post the solution.

Well done markuskolb.

I had thought I only needed to turn them on in the design layer for them to show up in plan Sheet Layer Viewports. Problem solved. It didn't twig in my mind to toggle the pull down menu. Two years of frustrations solved!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been noticing my fonts to the markers changing size and font type as well, especially with viewports at differing scales. Has anyone had any experience at countering this issue? I change the markers in the 1:100 scaled viewports and the markers in the 1:50 scaled viewports goes tiny (and vice versa).

Any clues to solving this?

• 3 weeks later...

"I've found that the only way to make the section lines show up in plan viewports is to select the section viewport, click "Section Line Instances" in the OIP, and then go to "Viewports" under "Find instances in" at the top of the dialog box; then you need to check the viewports in which you want the section line to appear. ""

I'm having a LOT of trouble with this.

How does one find out what the Viewport name or number is? If you go to Instances, there is a long list of viewports, but no indication of a reference to where any of those viewports are.

Never mind - The Viewport name is on the OIP, at the bottom. Still, very annoying UI.

Edited by ErichR

Yet another example of why you should name your viewports when you create them.

But I am in your boat and hardly ever bother/remember to do so until everything gets so complicated that it is interrupting the workflow and causing problems.

Another reason to do so in VW2010 is that the Drawing Label tool can automatically grab the viewport name for use in the drawing label.