2010 trial version won't uninstall (Mac OSX Leopard)

NUG

Question

I uninstalled the trial 2010 version. When the VW program is closed and I double click on a file to open the file and program, the 2010 opening screen shows up and tells me I must activate the copy first. Now I have to always open 2009 first before I open any files. Can this be fixed? I am using Mac OSX Leopard. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Guest jkelly

Hmm, that's odd then. So you are saying you are of the belief that no 2010 install exists on machine, but you see one starting? I guess we'll have to find where that one is, then. The best thing to do to accomplish this is do the steps you outlined above to get the 2010 install to start, and then open 'Activity Monitor.app' which can be found in /Applications/Utilities. Note that you usually have to click the Activity Monitor icon in the dock to get the actual window to come up.

Then find and single click the 'Vectorworks 2010' entry in the 'Process Name' column of Activity Monitor. Next click 'Inspect' at the top of the Activity Monitor window. A new window should appear for the Vectorworks process. Click the 'Open Files and Ports' pane selector (it should start with 'Statistics' selected).

The second entry in that list of files should tell you where the running instance of Vectorworks is loaded. Delete that copy of Vectorworks and your problems should be solved.

Thanks for the information! However, since my trial period has expired it won't open past the activation prompt. Does it have to be fully running to show up in the Inspector? No list of files is showing up in the Inspector under 'Open Files and Ports', although I do see Vectorworks in the Activity Monitor.

Guest jkelly

No, the list of files includes the executable itself, so there should always be something in there. That's quite curious, I've never seen that.

I'll ask what is perhaps the obvious question, you don't have another copy of Vectorworks 2010 in your /Applications folder, do you?

If not, let's try this route then, instead. Here we'll attempt to find everywhere your Mac has found Vectorworks at. Open Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities, and when the prompt shows up, enter the following:

`find /System -name lsregister -type f -print 2>/dev/null` -dump | grep -B 2 'identifier: *net.nemetschek.vectorworks' | grep path > ~/Desktop/WhereIsVectorworks.txt

Make sure you copy and paste everything in that above, including all quotes and ticks just as they are written.

When the prompt returns, there should be a file on your desktop called 'WhereIsVectorworks.txt'. If you open this, you should see a listing of everywhere your Mac thinks there is or has been a Vectorworks install since the last time your LaunchServices db has been cleaned. You should look there for 2010 installs, and ensure they aren't on your computer where the list says they are.

The key here is that there is obviously a copy of Vectorworks on your system, somewhere. Getting rid of it is the best way to deal with this problem.

Edited by jkelly

Problem solved! The list from the prompt said "nancy-lewiss-macbook-pro:~ nancylewis$", which I thought was very general. Yes, we know it is on this machine! :) This led me to search my downloads folder. Finding nothing I resorted to Spotlight and saw that I had put a copy of the 2010 download folder in a file on my desktop. As soon as I deleted it I was able to get files to open correctly in 2009.

Thank you SO much for your help.

Guest jkelly

Ohhh.... spotlight was a good idea! Sounds like I was making things more complicated than they needed to be! Good job, and thanks for getting back to us with your solution!