Sign in to follow this  
Vincent C

VW ArchiCAD and Artlantis?

I need some feedback from Artlantis users....... at my office we work with both ArchiCAD and VW, at the moment VW with Renderworks, BUT we are considering the step to Artlantis. If we have 1 person using ArchiCAD and another using VW how flexible is Artlantis?

Would it be possible to combine/merge a model partly created in VW and partly in ArchiCAD to one single model in Artlantis? Or even refernece parts of the model from the 2 CAD apps into one Artlantis file/model?

Edited by Vincent C

Hmm, interesting question. I don't think it will work but give it a try using the 'Use Reference File' command.

I'm not so sure 'bout Artlantis now......downloaded the demo and tried a little......have a look and compare, even though it's hard to say only having used Artlantis for an hour, it is definitely not faster than Renderworks?! And Renderworks definitely is good when comparing them!

even though it's hard to say only having used Artlantis for an hour, it is definitely not faster than Renderworks?!

Absolutely not a chance. You're definitely missing something if you're finding RW faster than Artlantis.

..the same perspektiv rendered at the same size as the Renderworks picture took 26 minutes and was 80% done before I aborted it??

Can't say without seeing what you're doing but I'd say you need to give it more than an hour.

Try lowering the radiosity settings, etc. too.

Someone else in our office does most of our rendering so I'm a bit rusty to be honest.

Edited by Christiaan

.....checked it out again and sure enough, everything was set to max quality, the times are better now....... I found out that it is possible to import another Artlantis file into the present one btw so my previous questions have been answered :).

Oh that's great, glad it worked out. Good to know you can import another file into the present one.

christiaan

that's one of the nice things with artlantis,

you can get your artlantis materials mapped

to your VW-RW materials, your natural lighting

+ skies tweaked, artlantis furniture + planting,

then save that file to use as a template.

you can then export a new VW model into it,

the old model disappears + the new model

takes all the old settings, as long as you're

disciplined in VW with your generic materials.

then it's a matter of a bit of gardening,

furniture + camera arranging in artlantis

and you're ready to render. very fast.

i still do a decent application of RW materials

+ lighting in VW, as i can then work with clients

in real time + it looks pretty good. and that way

the file is very close to being ready for export

when i want good renders...