demo mode

I have recently installed VectorWorks 9.0.1 on my Macintosh PowerBook G4 but whenever I try to open it I get the following warning:

"VectorWorks is running in demo mode. You cannot print, save or export from this version."

Can anyone tell me how to get out of demo mode? Is it an installation problem?

I'd be grateful for any answers (in layman's language, please) so I can get on with some drawing!

VectorWorks behaves this way in two cases that I know of:

1. You need to enter your serial number. Do this from the Session pane (I think) of the VectorWorks Preferences dialog.

2. You've got a demo version installed. One way to tell if that's the case is to look for a file called "Plug-in Support" in your Plug-ins folder.

I hope that helps.

If you are only installing VW Foundation - one CD, please be sure you selected "no" at the prompt asking if you wish to install any additional integrated industry series products.

If you are installing Architect, Landmark, Architect-Landmark or Spotlight, please install CD 1, select YES at the industry series prompt, and proceed with the install including CD 2.

Upon first launch of VW you will be prompted to enter your name and company name. You will then get another dialog box asking you to insert a valid VW serial number. Once you have added the serial number click on Add, and then click on Done.

The other cause for Demo Mode -

Look on the front of the CD where it says CD 1. Under that is a series number. Series B is for all demo or dongle versions. If you have a series B CD you will be put in demo mode until a dongle is inserted. If you purchased your product from a distributor located outside of the USA, please contact them for more inforamtion in regards to the dongle.If you purchased this from Nemetschek North America and feel this was an error, please contact Customer Service in order to have the appropriate CDs shipped to you.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Katie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:
If you are only installing VW Foundation - one CD, please be sure you selected "no" at the prompt asking if you wish to install any additional integrated industry series products.

If you are installing Architect, Landmark, Architect-Landmark or Spotlight, please install CD 1, select YES at the industry series prompt, and proceed with the install including CD 2.

Upon first launch of VW you will be prompted to enter your name and company name. You will then get another dialog box asking you to insert a valid VW serial number. Once you have added the serial number click on Add, and then click on Done.

Look on the front of the CD where it says CD 1. Under that is a series number. Series B is for all demo or dongle versions. If you have a series B CD you will be put in demo mode until a dongle is inserted. If you purchased your product from a distributor located outside of the USA, please contact them for more inforamtion in regards to the dongle.If you purchased this from Nemetschek North America and feel this was an error, please contact Customer Service in order to have the appropriate CDs shipped to you.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Thanks for the replies. Katie seems to have identified the problem - my CD1 is a Series B04.

My problem now is that I have no idea what a "dongle" is. I'd be grateful if you could explain what it is and how I insert it.

Does it sound as though I have been sold an unusual and inappropriate Series of CD1? Should I be looking to replace my CD with the correct type or is it usual to have to insert a "dongle"? I am confused because I have never seen mention of alternative Series of CDs to choose from.

I'd appreciate your further guidance.

A dongle is a small bit of hardware you attach to the computer in some way. Rather than have a user enter a serial number for the program which can be use on many machines and passed around with ease. The dongle version of the program reads a serial number of the dongle ensuring that the program is being used legitimately.

No form of copy protection is perfect, some people hate dongles, some people like them. We leave the decision to use a dongle or not up to the distributor for each region.

However, we also use the B series disk for demonstration purposes, since they will not function as the full copy with out the dongle.

You really need to contact the distributor you purchased VectorWorks from to determine what version you should be using and if you should have a dongle or not.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by chris jones:
Thanks for the replies. Katie seems to have identified the problem - my CD1 is a Series B04.

My problem now is that I have no idea what a "dongle" is. I'd be grateful if you could explain what it is and how I insert it.

Does it sound as though I have been sold an unusual and inappropriate Series of CD1? Should I be looking to replace my CD with the correct type or is it usual to have to insert a "dongle"? I am confused because I have never seen mention of alternative Series of CDs to choose from.

I'd appreciate your further guidance.

• 1 month later...

I have no 'Plug-In' Support in the Plug-in Folder. I recently tried to install the 9.5.0 'Full Update'; I happened to be doing it while in OS10.1.1. Up until that point, 852, 901, 950b5, and 950b7 worked fine. After installation of 950 Final, I deleted 950b5 and 901. I tried to run 950, but it said that it was a demo. Re-installing 901 doesn't help because the Serial Numbers... dialog doesn't keep the VW seral numbers I enter. The Renderworks number is maintained, but every time I go back in to modify the serial numbers for VW, it's blank. Same goes for 950. What gives?