3DS Exports

Is anyone else's 3DS export from Vectorworks totally jacked up?

I'm exporting a basic structural frame. I have my layer at 1:1, export in model units (and tried feet). If I pull it in to Sketchup or Cinema4D, the scale is absolutely ridonkulous... a 100' span turns into 2868' or something like that, no matter what scale I export at, or import at.

Similar problems?

I'll do all my modeling in Vectorworks... and export to Cinema 4d all the time. Some few tips:

1. Use Dxf instead of 3ds, if you don't need textures to be exported

1.2 If you use dxf disable: solids as acis solids

1.3 If you use dxf enable: decompose 3d objects

1.4 If you use dxf enable: triangulate to preserve fills

2. Don't use Unified view while exporting

3. 3d Conversion resolution (Vw preferences) controls the density of polygons for export.

4. Try the cinema 4d export plug in if you want: instances, cameras and lights

5. Always export in top (not top plan)

6. Align layers views if model is in different layers (all layers needs to be in top view)

I never lose any information while exporting.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mr. Gog

Hi,

do you know if the plugin for VW 2009 is running in 2010. I bought the plugin when it came out some years ago and the hotline of cinema told me that they don't sell it seperatly anymore. So do you know if the VW 2009 plugin update is free and if it works with VW 2010 and Cinema 4d R11.

Regards

Uli

• 1 month later...

I'm having difficulty with 3DS exports too.

I'm trying to get a VW model into Cheetah 3d.

I can get a 3DS file from VW to open in Cheetah 3d but it comes in at a small fraction of it's correct size and the windows and doors come in as integral parts of the walls that they are in.

I think that I can work around the scale problem but I really need to be able to easily apply textures to doors and windows independent of the walls.

I have imported the 3DS files into VW and I have the same problem - the doors and windows can not be separated from the walls.

Is there some setting that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 years later...