Slow instrument nudges?

Anybody else having a problem w/ instruments taking a very long time to nudge (Shift+Command+Arrow) or respond to changes in position entered into the OIP?

Other objects respond instantly, but instruments have a very noticeable lag. Groups of instruments have an extremely long lag.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...

michaelk

Kevin

Should the number of lights in a drawing make a difference on how long the lag is?

I'm getting a 6 second lag for every instrument move on the drawing I'm starting w/ about 40 units so far...

But some drawings w/ hundreds of fixtures move faster.

Any hints on cutting down the lag?

thanks

michaelk

I am on a windows computer (with 4g ram etc.) but I did have the same lag problem with 2010. For me it turned out that I had to updated my graphic card which also had more memory. This totally solved the slow response time.

Steve

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The number of instruments should not matter much.

If you have the Lightwright data exchange turned it will take slightly longer to regenerate.

You will see longer grgeneration times for instruments that have accessories, two-fers or are part of a multi cuicuit unit. Once one instrument is moved the other lighting devices associated with it must also update and there are some cases where this may happen several times in order to update all the related lighting devices.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks; i remember this being somewhat of an issue for me back on vw2008. i never found a good workaround other than using the move command. i also used sam jone's "move to closest unit" macro, and for some time changed the grid to 9" horizontal. yeah, nudging lighting devices can be as sludgy as the reviews of "phantom; the paint never dries"....

shelley