Vectorworks Snapping Behaviour

So I can't seem to find this topic anywhere and I'm not sure if any other user experience this, but whenever I draft (most of the time in 2D), I find that I have to press CMD+5 a lot of the times as layers automatically become a 3D view.

Does anyone know to stop this from happening? Perhaps I may have click a shortcut key that activated this?

Thanks!

More than likely that you are clicking on the 3D Selection tool rather than the 2D Selection tool. The former immediately takes you to Top View in lieu of Top/Plan View. Clicking on the Flyover tool does the same thing.

You may also be invoking a 3D view by pressing on the numeric keypad keys. 1-9 are 3D views. 0 is Top/Plan View

No.

If you mostly need to do 2D drawings and are accidentally choosing the 3D Selection tool or Flyover tool on the Basic palette then modify your Workspace to:

- Remove them both from the Basic palette.

- Add the 3D Selection tool to the 3D Modelling palette.

If your problem is the numeric keypad then you will need to train yourself out of that habit.

I've been using Vectorworks for nearly 17 years and have never had it switch spontaneously to a 3D view. It just does not happen!

The switching to a 3D view will be due to something you are doing. It sounds like you use keyboard shortcuts a lot so try and take note of the key combinations you are using that trigger it.

If you have modified your keyboard shortcuts you may have inadvertently created a key combination that switches the view to a 3D one.

Mac laptops have slightly different behaviour to Mac desktops and the Function key will turn the U, I, O, J, K and L keys into the numbers that will switch you to a 3D view. Having the Number Lock key on has the same effect.