Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Solid object/s into unstyled wall ...?

Hi, I would like to ask, how difficult would be to create script, which would automatically convert solid objects into unstyled walls ..

For accuracy, my programming skills are close to zero at this moment ... :)

Here is small example what kind of objects I mean ...

Edited by starling75
I know very little about VS and wall programming but I'm guessing it all depends on the solid geometry ie. if you can draw it with the wall/pillar tools it probably is possible to make a script for this, but then again why not draw it as walls and pillars from the start....?!

Because I am able to make precise dumb-geometric model of the house in sketchup, import it into vw, convert for example 1st floor plan wall group into solid object/s (viz example..) and then the last step to get clever-Bim model would be translate solid geometry into walls ..

(I know, that it is possible to import SU model and automatically convert vertical faces into walls..but this is good for preliminary very simple studies..)

What may be a problem is knowing which objects are walls. If everything that are to be imported are walls then you would be ok.

Another idea would be to import the drawing and then click on each object to be converted to a wall.

I don't need to convert everything when importing a model.

After a model is imported, I can select layer with wall geometry, convert selected 3d polygons into solids and then proceed with translation into walls ..

The question is how to recognize and translate thicknesses and heights of the walls ...

One possibility is (without conversion into solids):

a) translate copy of imported SU wall geometry into 2D polygons (top plan view + command convert to polygons)

b) convert centerline of these polygons into unstyled walls

c) run something like fit walls to roof command to fit tops, bottoms and sides of these walls to the source geometry (original 3D polygons ...)

This sequence could be automated, but, there are some problems :) - accurate translation 3D into 2D polygon(s) path(s) and magic algorithm - fit to © ...

If your imported objects are 3D polygons, you can do all this within vectorscript in one step. All the information that you need are in the polygons.

Unless NNA has changed the structure of the wall, it was composed of 3D polygons and that is how I was able to figure out the limit of the walls, thickness, height, and location of doors and windows to layout the framing.