Minimum RAM memory

Ken

Question

Question about minimum real-world RAM memory for an Apple Macintosh running latest OS.

I need to boot into Mac and Win XP Pro (Bootcamp) - alternately.

Mac bootup would run VW2010 Designer Renderworks + Safari + Preview. But that's about it.

Win bootup would run VW2010 Designer Renderworks + Safari + Adobe Reader. OR alternatively Autocad LT 2004 + Safari + Adobe Reader. Rarely both VW and AC at the same time. Heck, rarely booting into Windows. I'm a Mac for life.

So practically running no other apps, what's the real world difference between staying at 2GB RAM and coughing it up for 4GB?

In other words, I may have NO ACCESS to 4GB RAM. I'm talking about possibly somebody ELSE's machine -- not about the value of upgrading memory sticks. So would I suffer big time at 2GB, or will it be just a slight lag in functionality? I'm posting here instead of the Mac forums because of the specific apps.

Your real-world experiences are most appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I think the minimum requirement for Designer w/o Renderworks is 2GB. 4GB is recommended w/ Renderworks.

I used to run VW 2010 and VW 2009 Designer + Renderworks on my Macbook Pro (2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo) with only 2GB of Ram.

It worked.

I didn't do any benchmarks, but now that I have 4 GB on the same machine, it seems to render faster and handle flyovers more smoothly. It doesn't choke as hard when creating or updating DTMs.

I still get out of memory errors when rendering, even w/ 4GB.

But Ray's right. Filling up a MBP with RAM is pretty cheap.

... I have 4 GB on the same machine, it seems to render faster and handle flyovers more smoothly. It doesn't choke as hard when creating or updating DTMs.

I still get out of memory errors when rendering, even w/ 4GB.

Thanks. This is the kind of reply/comment/feedback I seek.

Again, I'm NOT talking about upgrading an existing 2GB-RAM machine. I suppose my boldface text above gets ignored... or... how else should I have written my question... :o

In other words, I may have NO ACCESS to 4GB RAM. I'm talking about possibly somebody ELSE's machine -- not about the value of upgrading memory sticks. So would I suffer big time at 2GB, or will it be just a slight lag in functionality? I'm posting here instead of the Mac forums because of the specific apps.

If you are talking about this paragraph, I guess I still don't understand...

.. I guess I still don't understand...

I would think the phrase, "not about the value of upgrading memory sticks" gives it away, but here's another way to put it:

Behind door #1 is a 2GB Mac...

Should you choose door #1, you will pay X dollars.

Behind door #2 is a 4GB Mac...

Should you choose door #2, you will pay Y dollars.

The unknown factor is the difference between X and Y dollars. It's variable. It depends on what's currently on the used market.

But do we know the real-world performance difference between door #1 and door #2? That's the question posed here in these forums. What if we're only talking about...

Mac bootup would run VW2010 Designer Renderworks + Safari + Preview. But that's about it.

Win bootup would run VW2010 Designer Renderworks + Safari + Adobe Reader. OR alternatively Autocad LT 2004 + Safari + Adobe Reader. Rarely both VW and AC at the same time...

On a tangental plane; I have been receiving out of memory messages while trying to do Final Rendorworks image at 300DPI. This I find odd as the machine (I7 920, Win7 64...) has 9G of RAM though I do understand that as VW2010 is only 32 bit the addressable ram is limited.

Even so that's a bucketload of ram on something that's a fairly simple project. Then there's the same message on hidden line render, which I'm re-assured is being addressed in the next SP.

Has 2010 got some issues with Hardware Buffer size, something that seems to have a similar effect (out of memory error message) on other memory intensive applications running in windoze?