Selecting items

The more i use this, the more i am struggling with typical every day quick things.

Selection.

I have an object, line, selection of items selected. I then click on a point. There are three outcomes

1. It picks up a line that is in close proximity but NOT part of the selection and NOT under my cursor

2. It picks up something underneath (typically a group)

3. I get what i want!

These are in order.

My current workaround is to have my items selected and them move them some amazing distance away.

I asked the office.

IF i have an item/selection of items if there was a key i can hold down that tells VW, DO NOT SELECT ANYTHING ELSE.

A bit like the shift key adds and subtracts selection, is there a key that says ALL ITEMS SELECTED?

Thanks.....Q

Definitely a dilemma for many.......and until a solution is presented/invented (ie. in ArchiCAD you can toggle through superimposed objects using the tab key), some tips:

1. Use the 'Snap Loupe' function, press Z-key, for better accuracy.

2. When a selection is made (if order is of no importance) use the 'Bring to Front' command, (i believe) VW generally places the latest created object on top and selects the latest created object when superimposed.

Edited by Vincent C

that's true about the super-imposed objects, and sending forward/backward would be a way around your problem.

also, in the preferences, is a snap/selection tolerance. adjusting this might solve your "cursor not near it" selections, unless the thing you're selecting is across the screen.

Also, if your objects have any sort of fill (tough to tell if your objects are white and you use a white background), clicking anywhere inside them will select them. Make sure you're drawing empty(no fill) boxes/circles/dodecagrams.

HTH,

Yes, it is the way the drawing is handled, the things i am picking up are groups and things like a grid will be selected even if i am between (by a long way) grid lines.

This happens even if sent to back.

Thanks for the other suggestions of settings, will look at this (and how we set up drawn information) and see what difference this makes and I can make.

Cheers.....Q

• 3 months later...

No, not made a difference. It appears that as we have groups on ground etc etc it likes to pick up those first. Grids are never an issue due to them being locked and most of the time is is local.

Very frustrating and makes working longer, but manageable.

Cheers.....Q

I find that if something has been imported, forget selecting anything when the import object is nearby - regardless of its draw order or superimposition.

Revit, like Archicad and other BIM sofware, offers the very most basic function of using the tab key to toggle through objects under the cursor.

This seems a must-have for the next patch. For now, there is far too much unnecessary wheeling and zooming around and clicking just to test whether or not the desired object might be selected.

Edited by Lloyd NB
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm curious why you need the 'DO NOT SELECT ANYTHING ELSE' functionality. I suspect your Selection Box Size is too big. You can adjust it in VW>Preferences>Interactive.

One way to get control over a complex selection of objects is to temporarily Group them (cmd G). This has the added advantage of allowing you to edit the group in a clean room. cmd U to ungroup

You will also find turning off the snap grid will produce more predictable selections.

Another help is using the zoom command (the Z key). Unlike Zooming In one is taken to a small window that is zoomed in & one is then magically transported back to where one was when the object is selected or one Clicks on the drawing.

To echo bcd's comment, I had issues before I resized my Selection Box.

RIght Peter, I find this can be a helpful way to find the correct point I'm looking for especially if I'm drawing at 25,000 ft or without my reading glasses.

;-)

BTW Q,

Just a thought, what is you display preference set to? If you are in Zoom Line Thickness this may also make choosing stuff difficult. One may toggle back & forth to preferences with Command comma ( , ) I never draw in Zoom line, but will use it from time to time.