Site model/DTM issues

Please help! When I try to use the Create Site Model command on the 3d polys created from a survey, the object I get behaves in a very sluggish manner. Also, if I try the Drape Surface command it doesn't work with this object.

I've watched the videos in the VW Online Video Library & Jonathan Pickup's podcast 043. In the videos the site plan objects they create looks much easier to handle despite the fact my survey seems much simpler then their examples. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Settings maybe?

That the drape does not work implies to me that there is a problem with one or more of the polys.

Some troubleshooting ideas.

Copy the contours and paste into a new file and try these things

Run the create site model command.

Polys may have more points than necessary (on a copy layer or file, run the Filter 3d polys command on your contour polys)

One or more polys are duplicates (cut & paste in place each contour to check)

Polys and site model on separate layers is usually a good idea.

Some stray or off screen 3d object is confusing things (set wireframe view to oblique, select all, set view to selection, look for out of place objects - try front & side views, too).

If no success, post the contours only file to this forum and others can look at it.

GL

-B

Benson's suggestions are all good. I would say the most crucial is Filter 3d Polys. Generally I can reduce the vertices to 48" intervals and still end up with a pretty accurate model (at least as accurate as the excavators can actually accomplish)....

My experience is that you need to run the Filter 3d Poly's before the Create Site Model command.

If your model is presentation only (no actually construction data needed) then you can reduce the vertices even more...