Hi

I've edited your file.

First I had to make it a "symbol in the wall"

I rotated the object in your symbol 90? left;

Exit symbol

right click-->edit wall hole component;

switched to front view;

arranged the extrude you already made there to the object;

gave the Object a new colour to allow you to identify it in the wall.

there's a tutorial in the knowledgebase as well.

called "2009 3D Wall Improvements"

Edited by Horst M.

For other hapless souls in a similar predicament, after endless experimentation I found:

- If any of the elements in the 3D component of the hybrid symbol are grouped, you can't snap to them. Why..no idea;

- Even after un-grouping, if any elements are made from extrude-along-path then you can't snap to these either, esp when going on make the wall hole object. Why..no idea. I had to place a 'sacrificial' 3D polygon in the 3D component to get something to snap to in order to place an accurate wall hole component;

- Grouped elements in the 3D component will also produce strange effects. In 3D views a plan view of the group elements will start appearing in bizarre locations..!

- Ticking the 'Convert planar objects' check-box at symbol creation seems to remove the problem of the 2D components appearing in 3D views. Perhaps this is obvious to some out there..but it's not clear from a reading of the help notes.

Not solved but getting there..

Yes, thanks. Reading together the Help entries on Hybrid Symbols and Screen vs Planar drafting, I eventually pieced together what was occurring.

The somewhat perplexing thing about non-snapping the groups and path-extrudes is that they're a very common way of modelling door/window framing, and hybrid symbols are in turn often doors and windows.