New Audio Tool for Vectorworks

The need for audio tools for Vectorworks is beginning to be met with the release of the Landru Design Audio ToolSet.

You might recall a recent thread regaring this in the Spotlight section of this Tech Board. These tools are the direct result of comments made there, many requests made over the years by users of our other tools, and valuable input by respected industry professionals.

Here is a simple image of the sorts of things that can now be created on-the-fly:

[img:center]http://www.landrudesign.com/AudioDemo-All-Web.jpg[/img]

The intent is not to replace (or even approach the complexity of) manufacturers' or 3rd-party high-end sonic analysis software. The intent of these tools IS to offer the ability to perform BASIC audio coverage analysis, simplify the creation of audio system layout drawings, check general audio space requirements, and to visualize simple audio components.

The other intent of this pair of tools is to learn about the specific Vectorworks needs of the audio community. This thread is in the process of being opened up for discussion along these lines.

See the Audio ToolSet Web Page for more information.

Thanks!

Hey Andy,

Finally had some time to sit down and take a hard look at this today. Looks great!

Here is a little feedback from adding some line array to a working plot.

Maybe I am missing a step but whats the procedure for building an array with variable box angles? Rather than tilt difference (which seems to yield a constant curvature array) it would be a bit smoother to have individual hanging angles for each box and the top box to the fly bracket. Then using the Top Tilt attribute to refer to the hanging angle for the fly bracket.

When editing an array after inserting boxes the only way I could get the boxes to update was to delete them, make the changes in the OIP and insert them again from the array tool. I am guessing that is what the Update button was for but does not seem to work for me.

Last thing I noticed was from a side view with dispersion active the lines seem a bit odd. There is a center line that runs 90 degrees out of the face of the box, which is kinda nice. However changing the vertical coverage in the OIP only changes the top dispersion line when it really should split the difference between the top and bottom dispersion lines. IN fact, I don't even see a bottom dispersion line.

I will be in the office the remainder of the week (more or less) if you want to chat.

Awesome for 1.0!!

/cheers

Jon

Jonathan -

Thanks for the comments!

Maybe I am missing a step but whats the procedure for building an array with variable box angles? Rather than tilt difference (which seems to yield a constant curvature array) it would be a bit smoother to have individual hanging angles for each box and the top box to the fly bracket. Then using the Top Tilt attribute to refer to the hanging angle for the fly bracket.

At this point, variable angles and bumper/fly-bracket tilt are not implemented. You can adjust the box angles "manually," but not automatically. Perhaps in the next version...

When editing an array after inserting boxes the only way I could get the boxes to update was to delete them, make the changes in the OIP and insert them again from the array tool. I am guessing that is what the Update button was for but does not seem to work for me.

To delete and replace boxes, simply click the "Insert Boxes" button. That will rebuild the array.

Last thing I noticed was from a side view with dispersion active the lines seem a bit odd. There is a center line that runs 90 degrees out of the face of the box, which is kinda nice. However changing the vertical coverage in the OIP only changes the top dispersion line when it really should split the difference between the top and bottom dispersion lines. IN fact, I don't even see a bottom dispersion line.

Check the Listening Height for the given box. If the height is equal to the box's "Z," the bottom dispersion lines won't' display.

That help, at all?

I will be in the office the remainder of the week (more or less) if you want to chat.

Ping me w. a direct message w. your number. I may have some time tomorrow or Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who are interested, here's a little update regarding the Audio ToolSet:

The Audio ToolSet has now been out for a few weeks and we've gotten some really good feedback from several of our users. Based on their initial comments/critiques/wishes, we've posted a Beta version of what will more-than-likely be version 1.1 for both AudioBox and AudioArray. If you're a current user and would like to give the new versions a spin, use your initial download link and password and click the "1.1 Beta" link.

Notable changes:

- AudioArray bumpers can now tilt. Already-inserted loudspeakers will tilt along with their bumper.

- AudioArray 1.0 built arrays based on the front faces of loudspeakers. It was pointed out that some loudspeakers (like V-DOSC) actually tilt using cabinet backs as references. Therefore, a "Tilt Reference" parameter has been added in 1.1.

- If you click AudioArray's "Save to Library" button, bumper info will be saved along with AudioBox settings.

- A few bugs have been addressed.

Please continue with the feedback and the discussion!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Andrew,

I just started playing with the toolset. I got to say, my favorite feature to this is that you assign a class prefix. I think all PIO should allow you to do this.

The thing that I am having troubles with. Let's say I take my entire inventory of speakers and create the speakers in your tool, how do I share that with my co-worker so he doesn't have to go through all that work too?

I just started playing with the toolset. I got to say, my favorite feature to this is that you assign a class prefix. I think all PIO should allow you to do this.?

I'm glad you're liking the tools.

Different PIOs have different approaches to Class names. This particular one seemed to be the simplest and was actually requested by one of our other users. It is good to know that at least one other user appreciates the addition.

The thing that I am having troubles with. Let's say I take my entire inventory of speakers and create the speakers in your tool, how do I share that with my co-worker so he doesn't have to go through all that work too?

First, your co-worker will need to have a license for the tools...

Assuming that is in-place, look for a file in your Plug-Ins folder called "AudioBoxData.xml". You'll be able to share copies of that instead of forcing each user to input the data individually.

That help?

• 1 month later...

Michael -

Look for a file called "AudioBoxData.xml." It will be in your "Plug-ins" folder (either in your main Vectorworks application folder or in your User Folder.

To edit a given box, simply select it in the "Type" pop-up, change the values in the OIP, and then click the "Save To Library" button. You'll be given the option of renaming the box or updating the definition.

At this point, the only way to delete boxes is to edit the XML file manually. We have noted the need to add a "Delete" feature to future versions.

Thanks for the question!