Interior Rendering Help Needed

Don Chin

I'm trying to get the hang of interior rendering with Renderworks. My biggest frustration so far (among many) is getting the floor carpet texture to render and to not have the ceiling so dark. It looks halfway decent with Fast Renderworks w/ Shadows, but any rendering mode above that and the carpet doesn't appear.

I am using a point light and a spotlight. I have listed other info on the sheet which I've attached.

I would appreciate any tips and wonder if I am on the right path.

I have the RW cd-rom tutorial but that restaurant project is way beyond me at this point. Are there any good resources for doing nice, simple interiors?

Thanks

Donald

With the ceiling, you might try using a texture w/ constant reflectivity. Just using a white color in a rendering always looks grayish.

I found Dan Jansenson's book (The Renderworks Recipe Book) helpful getting started w/ renderworks. It's due for an update, but I don't think anything in renderworks has changed since the last edition came out. http://imageprops.com/

hth

michaelk

Thanks for the tip regarding the Recipe Book. I did purchase it and am finding it helpful.

As for my original problem, I believe it had to do because I originally thought that I could put in lighting symbols such as the 2'x4' Fluorescent Troffer and do a rendering with "real world" lighting. When I removed the troffers the various render modes worked showing the flooring. I still wonder if the Library lighting symbols can be used instead of the Light Tools for a rendering?

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this thread has over 400 views, it seems everyone is looking for rendering advice, so I thought I would follow up with the rendering I ended up with, after countless hours of experimentation. For instance I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a glow from the downlights in the soffit, and they ended up looking faintly perceptible. Dan's book helped a lot, although I got it a little late in the process to save me from the hours of trial and error.

Here is some info re. the rendering (which I am generally pleased with, or maybe I just can't bear to tinker with it anymore) - Final Quality Renderworks, cultured stone textures are from OwensCorning Stonecad, tv monitor from Vector Depot, magazines, posters and Monet painting I made (fun!), wood desk texture from the Furniture and Scenic Elements folder. The VW people seem to really increase rendering time and image props are probably better. I had to lower the resolution to upload it.

Thanks to everyone for your help and interest. This board is such a great resource!

Donald

• 2 weeks later...