Door Jamb Visibility

Hi All,

How do I get my door jambs to show as visible when my doors are turned off? I have experimented with use part line styles, set the jamb to class "none", kept "none" on in my viewport and still the jamb is not visible?? See attached. I would rather not draw over in 2D in the viewport but will if there is not another way.

Thanks, Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. I just played around with this a bit and found what I think is a workable solution. Try this little test and I think it will get you headed in the right direction.

1) Open a new clean file

2) Draw one wall and then insert one door into it

3) Select the door and go to SETTINGS

4) Click on the VIEW tab

5) Use the pulldown to set everything EXCEPT "Int Jamb" and "ext Jamb" to "Style 1" (or any other discreet class). Leave the "Int Jamb" and "Ext Jamb" set to "None" (or any other discreet class - since this is a new file you will obviously need to use or create classes in your existing file to mimic this approach)

6) Exit out of the Settings dialog

7) Make Invisible the classes "Style1" AND "Sills".

8) You should now have only the door jambs showing.

Let me know how this works for you...P

Peter, I followed your steps above & just the jambs appeared as expected. I changed the jamb style which was "none" to have a line thickness of 0.35mm to match the line thickness of the walls & nothing happened. It seems it is not possible.

For this project I ended up manually adding the jambs in a SLVP & got the look I was hoping for, however it would be nice to set a preference for the jamb line thickness at the outset?

TY Jeremy

You can set the Jambs to another of the (oft-dreaded) Style classes and then set that class to "use at creation" with the desired line weight (and any other attributes). Are you saying that you did that and it failed?? I'll need to play around some more to see if I can replicate it. But it should work...

Yeah, that one bites everyone at some point. Remember that classes have two distinct functions (which are not mutually exclusive): 1) as a categorical-type organizational tool (or container) and, 2) to define class-specific attributes.

Although both can be used at the same time with the same class, it is a requirement for #2 (above) that Use at Creation be checked. Also note that Viewport Class Overrides will only work if Use at Creation is checked.

There's enormous power here and lots of flexibility too...