Referencing and dimensions, can they live together?

Are you trying to get the dimension text to read more consistently in relation to its dimension line? I originally had the same problem, so I use a custom dimension style with zero distance between the text and the dimension line. It makes the text *share* the same line, which is more efficient anyway for really tight drawings. Flipped and rotated duplicates or symbols or links then stay equally compact. HTH.

------------------

This reply is subject to censorship by NNA administrators.

My participation is also subject to elimination by NNA.

...and nobody would ever know what happened.

A colleague of mine has this problem: one simple building repeated several times on one area but with different orientations, mirrored, flipped etc. She first made the buildings symbols and then to make the file smaller she referenced the original plan to other files. On those other files she had flipped/mirrored the plans to follow the master plan. On the original plan there are dimensions, which now show flipped too on the referenced plans (which are still symbols I think). We tried fixing the problem in the dimension settings choosing the text to be on the left side,(on both referenced and reference files) regenerating the plug in objects, refreshing the reference. We could not edit directly the dimensions because part of a referenced symbols (and even if they were not symbols we wouldn?t be able to edit the reference/ layer link obviously). Has anybody got in this problem and hopefully fixed it?

Thanks a lot for any help.

I decided to insert those words in my signature after a NNA administrator removed my reply accusing them of "stupid marketing." It was about the VW Viewer. The last time I checked, the word "stupid" is proper English.

------------------

This reply is subject to censorship by NNA administrators.

My participation is also subject to elimination by NNA.

...and nobody would ever know what happened.

Is the text rotated? Or is it more like mirror writing?

It sounds like your dimensions were included in the symbols so that with the rotating and flipping they were moved as well.

If you just need to reverse the plan, I would create another layer at the same scale in the target document and put your dimensions there. That way they will accurately show the size, yet still be readable.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Giovanni:

A colleague of mine has this problem: one simple building repeated several times on one area but with different orientations, mirrored, flipped etc. She first made the buildings symbols and then to make the file smaller she referenced the original plan to other files. On those other files she had flipped/mirrored the plans to follow the master plan. On the original plan there are dimensions, which now show flipped too on the referenced plans (which are still symbols I think). We tried fixing the problem in the dimension settings choosing the text to be on the left side,(on both referenced and reference files) regenerating the plug in objects, refreshing the reference. We could not edit directly the dimensions because part of a referenced symbols (and even if they were not symbols we wouldn?t be able to edit the reference/ layer link obviously). Has anybody got in this problem and hopefully fixed it?

Thanks a lot for any help.

What happens when I mirror the plan on the layer link (linked to the referenced one), be it a symbol or not, the dimension numbers go to the right side of the dimension instead of staying on the left side. The text itself is fine. I've tried with a dimension style that specifies the text to be on the left, but still same results. The idea behind referencing the dimensions too, is so that I don't have to redraw them, the plans are the same, just with different orientation.