Page Area too small

Complete beginner to VW2010 so please forgive me.

Designed my project and now want to print it, but the "Page Area" is only a small section of the whole drawing. I want to print the whole thing off on one sheet of A4.

Can't see any way of changing the "Page Area", all the options I play with never seem to make any difference. How do I make my whole drawing fit?

EDIT: Ideally I'd like a way to select a section and say "Fit to Page Area" so I can print it. Is that possible?

Edited by Luffer

Menu bar>File>Page Setup. Under Printable Area check "Choose size unavailable in printer setup" and choose "One printer Page" in the pull down menu.

Click on the Printer Setup button. Set up your paper size here.

You can't do fit to page area in Vectorworks. You can move the print area with the Move Page tool.

Thanks, that's great, knowing you have the Designer version is what I was looking for. When I want to fit to print area I export a PDF, then print the PDF using fit to print area.

I think some printers have a fit to print area feature, but if it doesn't you can't do it through VW. Might be a good wish for the Wish List Requests forum.

Maybe Luffer is asking about how to change the scale of all or part of a drawing so that it fits on a particular page size. If that is the case, the answer depends on how the drawing is presented for print. Read about Sheet Layer Viewports, Layer Scale, Stack Layers, and Saved Views in the VW help. Here are a few basics:

Print from Sheet Layer with Viewport is probably the way to go for what you want. On your design layer click in open space to deselect everything, draw a rectangle over the area to print and leave it selected - this will be your viewport crop. Then View>Create Viewport and click yes for the crop question. In the dialog box, click the Create on Layer pull down and choose New Sheet Layer and click OK. You can rename it and adjust the scale later. Your drawing will open displaying your new sheet layer with the new VP selected. Edit the VP page size (Page Setup or Sheet Layer edit box) and select the Viewport to edit its scale value in the Object Info Palette scale field until it fits the desired page size . Dbl Click the viewport and choose Annotations to add text, etc. or Choose Crop to adjust size/location of the cropping rectangle. Wheew Lotsa words for a not difficult process.

If printing a view directly from one or more design layers of the same scale, edit the layer scale in File>Document Settings>Document Setup>Layer Scale>Change. If you select Entire Drawing, it will change all design layers to the new scale, so this is not always appropriate.

If design layers in your printing view need to have scale different from other layers, edit the scale of each layer in your the view via Navigation Palette - Right click a layer name in the list, then choose Edit and adjust the scale in the dialog box. Repeat for each required layer.

A quick and dirty trick is to select the objects you want to fit to a page, and copy/paste into an email or open a graphics software and save as image/pdf from clipboard (this works for Mac version, I don't know about Windows). When you print and fit to page, this new file will likely loose the announced scale.

-B

• 4 years later...

"One Printer Page" in the drop down menu in Page set up was the answer to my printer issue holding me up for the lat 40 or 50 minutes. I found that I was getting notes that I wanted outside the print area printing with the drawing in multiple sheets "One Printer Page" limits the print to the page area which is what I wanted to see. Thank you Ray Libby Have a good day.

Edited by timmysmith