Has anyone used Alibre

GWS

Talking of shafts with bores, little things like a Motor Shaft\Armature Tool inclusion(lecy) that offer the correct flat(on smaller motors) for pinions and a few options for the Big Stuff too, keyways, square, splines,(yes i've seen some funny choices, but not everyone lives in the 21st century) could all be nice little teasers, but then we are probably happy to model our own unlike some members of the VW fraternity that need everything done for them. Would take some of the calculation out of the equation, though.

Oooooops!

:)

Yes, the keyway in the shaft tool can be very annoying. Improved in 2010, now you can at least orient it at 90? increments around the journal. Would be nice if you could set the angular orientation precisely ... in case you wanted to say, time a cam? ... but you still can't have tool run-out in the adjacent journal ... had a few smart-arse comments " I'll need my square end mill for this one ... " when I've forgotten to manually add the run-out later ... With components such as motors I download models from the manufacturers site, SEW has excellent models (once you figure out how to use their system) ...

Another couple of good sites for finding various components ...

TracePartsOnline ...

and ThomasNet ...

Kim, how many years did it take sifting through all the possible places online to find these? Or were you just lucky? I usually give up after 5 days of reading drivel sales pitch(not suggesting these 2 are in anyway responsable for anything similar). Thanx i'll give 'em a look when i've got a minute.

I find most suppliers have 3d models available somewhere, it's just a case of hassling the right sales person long enough until they find the web address. Amazing how quickly things happen if you mention how great one of their competitors models are ... The Thomas net one I found through Swagelok, I use a lot of their components in some of our test benches ... One little hint, if you get one suppliers models in your browser chop all the crap out of the web address and have a look see what the base site has to offer ...